Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 08-14-2021, 09:54 PM

Default Can't find I/O for USB mic

I am a rank beginner, so please excuse any weird terminology-

I have a Mackie EM-91CU USB mic set up in the MacBook Pro midi Control center as the input device (and a pair of Mackie bluetooth monitors for output.).

I created an audio file in ProTool First, and imported an mp3 as a track I want to add some things to - which is why I did not use a template. It plays fine.

I created an audio track to record on thru the USB mic, which appears as the input device in hardware setup.

But can''t find any way to assign that mic to the audio track. "I/O" for the track says "no input", and if I click input I get a huge list of "bus" numbers...none of which seem to have anything to do with the input mic. I've looked in the edit window, mix window - there's nothing that makes sense to me, and the button identification is confusing. I can't find a "map" that explains what each item in each widow does either..and being new to this it's all unfamiliar (my recording experience is limited to playing in studios with engineers handling things - and at home, 4 track cassette and reel to reel recording.)

I'm looking for documentation that I can refer back to - not videos, which are "random access" (i.e. having to remember exactly where on which video some tidbit of info is on).

in other words - I actually RTFM. But I can't find any manual, and help files bounce from subject to subject without any linearity or logical order.

Anyway - right now I'd like to be able "turn the mic on". It works great in Audacity, but in ProTools First it seems to be buried somewhere under piles of unfamiliar jargon.

Old bandmates would like me to pay for the full version of ProTools - but I said no - not until I can at least grasp the basics. And I haven't even tried hooking up my interface yet - just the mic.

Where ARE the I/O selections hidden? It's really frustrating that the simplest things are apparently made so hard.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Can't find I/O for USB mic

Welcome to the forum. Have you selected your USB mic in the Playback Engine? If not, you will need to do this by going to Settings -> Playback Engine. After doing so, create a new project and see if it shows up as an available input.

PTF has limited I/O routing, so you may also want to try the Pro Tools trial, which is the full version and would be a lot closer to the paid version, depending on which version you buy. Only downside is that you need to purchase an iLok for the trial.

System Details
Old 08-15-2021, 04:46 PM

I've been trying to post a detailed reply but keep getting an "access denied" shunt with random numbers following it.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChops View Post
I've been trying to post a detailed reply but keep getting an "access denied" shunt with random numbers following it.
Welcome to the forum … this worked for me twice recently, when I was unable to post a reply:

Copy the URL generated when hitting the “Reply” or “Submit New Thread” button and paste it in a new tab
Add an “s” (without the inverted commas) to make the (http) prefix:
https
Hit ‘Enter’

Somewhat annoying to create a detailed post, to have it disappear – so, write your post first and save this word document; then copy & paste this in your DUC reply

Best way to search the DUC is to Google it like this:
Your Topic – site: duc.avid.com
For example – check out what happens when you Google:
I/O for USB mic - site: duc.avid.com
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 08-15-2021, 07:11 PM

The S is already there, but I tried it with and without - still can't reply with details...One line at most.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Don't use links or Attachments for your first posts - these need checking by DUC and can cause unnecessary delay
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 08-15-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
The S is already there, but I tried it with and without - still can't reply with details!
Thanks for checking

Try submitting just the first sentence of your reply - if that "gets through", you can "Edit" your post to add the extra

I've had to post this way myself - and it works!
Old 08-15-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
... Have you selected your USB mic in the Playback Engine? If not, you will need to do this by going to Settings -> Playback Engine ...
You can also hold down the "N" key while launching Pro Tools - this'll show you the Playback Engine
Old 08-15-2021, 08:05 PM

Are you setup as explained here:

Audio MIDI Setup for macOS

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...or-pc-and-mac/

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...device-drivers
Old 08-15-2021, 08:11 PM

This hopefully does it!

How To Connect A USB Mic To Pro Tools HD On A Mac
https://youtu.be/OryIf-88Qfs