Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2021, 09:59 PM

Default The following plug-ins failed to load because they are not valid 64 bit AAX plug-ins

Hello ,

I'm starting this thread because i just updated Pro tools from 10 to 2020.12 .I also changed Windows system ( Win 7 64 to Win 10 ) .

But this is a nightmare because i can't load my plugins . I know , it seems that pro tools only use 64 bit plugins (not 32 anymore??) but i have a serious issue.

When loading , Pro tools says that some of my plugins (fabfilter , Ozone) are not valid 64 bit plugins . I don't understand , these are compatible with Windows 10 !! I had no problem on Win 7 .

I tried uninstalling & reinstalling ....no changes . Tried trash prefs ...same result .

Deleting Pro Tools 10 , same result .

I saw there were some issues with Mac Os Sierraor something like that , but didn't see anything with Windows 10 .

I'm running on Windows 10 20H2 . Please help , i'm becoming so crazy !!

Thanks
Old 02-11-2021, 10:47 PM

Default Re: The following plug-ins failed to load because they are not valid 64 bit AAX plug-

Pro Tools 10 uses AAX-32 32-bit plugins. Pro Tools 11 and later uses AAX-64 64-bit plugins. Many modern plugins contain both AAX-32 and AAX-64 packaged together, or are just AAX-64.

Lets start with just what version of the plugins you actually have and if they are 64-bit or not. You could have given the exact version numbers...

You can look in the plugin bundles and just see exactly what is there.

For example look in the plugins in the Windows command shell or with the File Explorer.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins\BF-76.aaxplugin\Contents\x64
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins\BF-76.aaxplugin\Contents\Win32

64-bit plugins have an executable in the x64 directory
32-bit plugins have an executable in the Win32 directory

If you don't have 64-bit plugins you need to get updates from the vendors. Make sure you get the latest/otherwise compatible versions.

If you do, then back to solving that problem.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:00 PM

Default Re: The following plug-ins failed to load because they are not valid 64 bit AAX plug-

Hello. Thank you for your reply.
In fact I'm already aware of what you said.
I really know much about the folders, the file, the extensions etc.

All my files are in the common files folder / Avid / x64.
So I'm sure there is no problem with that.

I was running Win7 64bit before so all these plug-ins are already 64 bits.

I saw many posts with this issue on Mac, so it does exist.
But I don't know how to solve it or if it's a general problem with last Win 10 update.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:36 AM

Hi,
The first thing you have to do is upgrade your plugins.
The ones you used in PT 10 were 32 bit.
They don't work in PT 2020.

See Daryl's post above.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:06 AM

Generally speaking every time you update PT you should also take a look at plugins if there are updates to them as well
Old 02-12-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
Hi,
The first thing you have to do is upgrade your plugins.
The ones you used in PT 10 were 32 bit.
They don't work in PT 2020.

See Daryl's post above.

Hello . Yes they are. As i said , i'm aware of that. Maybe you didn't see , i have my x64 folder .

Pro tools 10 was the last 32 bit application from Pro tool series .

But the plugins i'm using were released when Avid started Pro tools 12 and above .

In fact , i have the Plugins in RTAS / DPM /VST / VST3 / AAX in both 32 bits and 64 bits .

I saw numerous threads about this for MAC , so people are already aware of that. But in my case, being on W10 , i don't know ...

Old 02-12-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Generally speaking every time you update PT you should also take a look at plugins if there are updates to them as well

Yes they are !!
Old 02-12-2021, 07:03 AM

This is why its not good to upgrade a former PT 10 setup. The system is chock full of all this old stuff that doesn't work and doesn't help. If you start with a fresh install of Windows 10, Pro Tools and plugins(and choose to ONLY install the AAX64 versions if this option is shown), you end up with a system that is lean and efficient(sadly, that's not what you have at the moment)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-12-2021, 07:07 AM

I'm on Windows and I've experienced this problem and it's annoying. In my case it happened mostly with Izotope plugins. It's been a while but if I remember correctly this was my solution:

1. Create a folder on the desktop and relocate the problem plugins temporarily to that folder.

2. Reopen Pro Tools to be sure the error is gone. Close Pro Tools.

3. Replace the plugins back to the plugin folder and reopen Pro Tools again.

In my case this would usually fix it though I seem to remember having to repeat the process occasionally. Regardless, I've always been able to get up and running again with this method eventually.

Good luck with it!
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 02-12-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This is why its not good to upgrade a former PT 10 setup. The system is chock full of all this old stuff that doesn't work and doesn't help. If you start with a fresh install of Windows 10, Pro Tools and plugins(and choose to ONLY install the AAX64 versions if this option is shown), you end up with a system that is lean and efficient(sadly, that's not what you have at the moment)

I don't really get what you say .

I upgraded from Pro tools 10 to 2020 by uninstalling pro Tools 10 and downloading via AVID LINK .

Windows 10 has nothing to do , since it's working well with all others programs , and i already did a clean install before installing all of these .

For my plugins , i chose AAX and VST3 since i'm using FL STUDIO too .