Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-26-2021, 11:53 AM

Default Yamaha DM1000 and Pro Tools

Hello, I have a chance to pick up a DM1000. I have it here and I'm having trouble getting PT to talk to it. I have a Mac Mini 2014, and I'm running PT First 2020.9 on Catalina. I installed the latest Yamaha/Steinberg USB/MIDI driver 2.0.4 . I have the DM1000 connected to the Mac via USB. The DM also has an ADAT card installed which could be used to connect the Mini.

The problem I'm having is PT does not see the DM. I can see the DM in OSx MIDI Studio, but it's not tied to anything. BTW I don't need MIDI.

So what am I missing or forgetting? Is this even a viable platform? Please help!
Old 01-26-2021, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Yamaha DM1000 and Pro Tools

If you don’t need MIDI, then why are you installing the MIDI driver and connecting via MIDI?

I suspect you’re expecting the DM1000 to act as an audio interface. You’ll be disappointed to know the DM1000 is solely a digital mixer, it does not have any built-in audio interface capacity. The only thing you can do with it as-is is to use it as a HUI controller via MIDI.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-26-2021, 12:59 PM

Jimmy is correct. The DM1000 will work as a control surface using the HUI mode. It will not connect to the computer via USB to use as an audio interface.

You will have to use another audio interface to get audio in to and out of Protools via your computer.

Once you have an audio interface set up, you CAN use the DM1000 as an expansion unit for 16 extra mic pres via the ADAT card. But it won't serve as the primary audio interface.

The only console that Yamaha makes that will do that is the 01V96i.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-26-2021, 01:10 PM

Thank you guys, that explains a lot!

The last time I used a Yamaha product was when I had an 02R96 tied to a Digi002R, and that worked really great.

Right now I'm using an analog Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK. It's very pedestrian compared to the DM1000, but it works very well.

So any recommendations on an interface? Just curious... I did find this little guy... https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb...sbstreamer-box

Last edited by dszalay; 01-26-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszalay View Post
So any recommendations on an interface? Just curious... I did find this little guy... https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb...sbstreamer-box
What do you need the interface to do? How many inputs and outputs? and what types of connectors? There's probably a million different audio interfaces in the market.

Check my signature. I have four different interfaces that I use, depending on the situation.

The other option, if you have the right set up, is to get a pair of the Yamaha MY16-AUD Dante cards for your DM1000 and use Dante to get 32 channels from the DM1000 into your audio system. You could use Dante Virtual Sound Card to get the audio from the Dante network into your computer, and connect the DM1000 to the Dante network. You'll need at least one gigabit level managed switch, like a Cisco SG350 or NetGear GS108T.

Although, I'm not a huge fan of DVS and I think there are some stability issues with it. I would recommend a hardware Dante interface to connect your computer to the Dante network.

There's so many different ways to do it, you just need to specify which way you want to get audio into your computer.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 01-27-2021, 12:53 PM

We've used Dante to interface the older DM consoles to DAWs. You'd get a Dante card for the DM1k, Dante Virtual Sound Card for the Mac and use DVS as the DAW interface.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:05 PM

OK, I think I have my problems resolved. I found a used RME Digiface USB (very rare to find used), and a Yamaha MY16-AT. However...

I'm now using USB audio to the Digiface to the MY16-AT. It's working correctly, but I'll throw this out...

I never used USB as an audio interface. I might be imagining things, but when I listen to a mix in Pro Tools, it sounds a bit flatter; that is, background instruments don't seem to jump out as clear or they seem buried more in the mix.

Or (as I said), am I imagining things?
Old 04-24-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszalay View Post
OK, I think I have my problems resolved. I found a used RME Digiface USB (very rare to find used), and a Yamaha MY16-AT. However...

I'm now using USB audio to the Digiface to the MY16-AT. It's working correctly, but I'll throw this out...

I never used USB as an audio interface. I might be imagining things, but when I listen to a mix in Pro Tools, it sounds a bit flatter; that is, background instruments don't seem to jump out as clear or they seem buried more in the mix.

Or (as I said), am I imagining things?
Compared to what? How were you monitoring before? Headphones? From a different interface?

The DM1000 is over 18 years old. The D-A converters are probably way behind what more modern interfaces can offer.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:20 AM

...it had also a terrible eq btw , at this time fine , but nothing nice compared
to newer digital or better analog eq from older boards , main advantage
was the design , not so nifty as at a 02/r ... , larger knobs and fader and
much tighter build....
in "modern" times a controller is the way to go , s6 and so on.....
if you need a better or different eq , get another plugin , or get
nice sounding analog gear
Old 04-25-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterle View Post
in "modern" times a controller is the way to go , s6 and so on.....
if you need a better or different eq , get another plugin , or get
nice sounding analog gear
Unless you need a console that will actually mix, AS WELL AS work as a controller for Protools. The DM1000/2000 still, to this day do a bunch of things that other modem console won't and can't. And for their price point, find me any other console that will actually pass audio as well as work as a control surface in Protools AND chase time code.

Even today. Find me one.

It doesn't matter how good a console's preamps are or what the EQ sounds like, if it doesn't function the way you want it to, then it's useless.