Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Default wierd tracking issue...please help!!!

I really hope someone can help me with this problem!!!

I just got my protools system up and running. I have my m-powered protools 8 hooked up to an 8 channel "M-audio project mix" unit via firewire. The only problem I haven't been able to figure out is this: When I am tracking any instrument I hear two versions of the same instrument being played back, but on playback it sounds the way it is supposed to.

so if i am tracking vocals, i hear two of my voice at the same time. resembling a chorus effect. I play it back and its just one voice.

how do I adjust my settings to fix this problem? it seems to me that it is playing both the actual input and the playback at the same time causing a wierd delay/chorus sound.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Default Re: wierd tracking issue...please help!!!

When you are recording you need to mute the channel strip. What you are hearing is both the direct sound coming through
the project mix inputs and your signal as it is going into the computer and through Pro Tools software and both signals are
being combined at the outputs of your PJ Mix.

The phasey/chorus like sound comes from the other half of your signal going through the software and it takes
a few milliseconds longer for the computer and Pro Tools to process it and come back through to your headphones/speakers.
This is what we refer to as monitoring latency and the only ways to avoid it are to lower the hardware buffer, or better yet
just mute the track you are recording to. You'll still be able to hear the other tracks and your click as you record.

You'll want to also open the Project Mix control panel and keep it handy off to the side. It will allow you to adjust
the balance of your other tracks playing back with the inputs you are recording to.
PT Mpowered 8.04, Logic 9.1.1
Waves SSL,Omnisphere,Korg Legacy Digital
Absynth 4, EZ Drummer
Project Mix I/O w/ Black Lion Mod
Axiom 61,25, Korg Nano Pad