Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-27-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 2020.3 Crazy Cpu and Ram %

Your problem may be right there; exact same version of the plugin may not work well with newer PT version, so you need to wait for 3rd party to release a plugin version tested against the PT version you are using now.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Your problem may be right there; exact same version of the plugin may not work well with newer PT version, so you need to wait for 3rd party to release a plugin version tested against the PT version you are using now.
Isn't that the purpose of having the dedicated AAX format? That... all AAX plugins will work with Pro Tools? Is there a new version of AAX in 2020.3?
Old 04-27-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crandallwarren View Post
Isn't that the purpose of having the dedicated AAX format? That... all AAX plugins will work with Pro Tools? Is there a new version of AAX in 2020.3?
Any plugin that runs on general-purpose processor (as in native processing) is dependent of the build of plugin and build of host software. These need to match. If you change one, you may need to change the other as well. Always update plugins to new versions whenever you update PT.

DSP is different. Once you have a perfectly working DSP plugin you only need to change it when they change DSP hardware.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:17 PM

Talking Re: Pro tools 2020.3 Crazy Cpu and Ram %

Quote:
Any plugin that runs on general-purpose processor (as in native processing) is dependent of the build of plugin and build of host software. These need to match. If you change one, you may need to change the other as well. Always update plugins to new versions whenever you update PT.

DSP is different. Once you have a perfectly working DSP plugin you only need to change it when they change DSP hardware.
Well, if the responsibility lies with the 3rd party to adapt to the larger-- where's Pro Tools video support for CATALINA? :)
Old 04-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Havent you read the release notes? Some will work, but not everything. What works is working better than before but sure if you rely on codec that isnt working you need to keep waiting ot adopt another video format in your workflow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Havent you read the release notes? Some will work, but not everything. What works is working better than before but sure if you rely on codec that isnt working you need to keep waiting ot adopt another video format in your workflow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know what works and what doesn't work. There's a lot that doesn't work. And Catalina was released 6 months ago...

All I'm gonna say is this:

In regards to what I said regarding Avid support being a "joke". I stand by that comment 100%.

The OP said he emailed support and received no response. I have had the same experience. And the difference is:we pay for it. We pay a yearly fee for support. I can understand if it was a complimentary service. But it's not... And yet, every time I have to contact support with an issue-- I receive either no support or very little.

I also want to point out that this is my experience with Pro Tools support. I'm also a console user and I've received fantastic emergency support for the SC48 and S6 systems.

So, I guess my question is... When it comes to Pro Tools... Do you guys have to be so... Avid-esque ? Is it really beneath your support team to assist your customer base with these types of issues? Is it too much to ask that you support not just with the functioning of Pro Tools in a vacuum, but the workflows we've built around it?

Is that too really too much to ask?
Old 04-27-2020, 05:40 PM

No you are spot on, it is not acceptable if support drops the ball. We have had to escalate many caes recently. Not sure if it is because of this covid **** but anyway, recent weeks have been a disaster
Old 04-28-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crandallwarren View Post
The OP said he emailed support and received no response. I have had the same experience.
I have always received my (due) support when using Support Portal (not emailng but creating support case). And even sometimes the ball was dropped by me not knowing the software/conflicting configuration of Mac OS.

My Avidesque 2 cents. :)
Old 04-28-2020, 02:42 PM

its a moon shot but i hope one day we will have a close to perfect protools DAW!
Old 04-28-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
its a moon shot but i hope one day we will have a close to perfect protools DAW!
So called perfection for me was PT 8.1.1 HD on OSX 10.6.8 -- so far the most stable and reliable system ever.

But it does not have Disk Cache, does not have Write Automation on Record, does not have current metering, etc...

Point being that PT8 era it was crucial to have a stable system to be able to record a 3 hour live gig. Without disc caching needed to test stability after each and every update. That has changed for good, but of course when you fix something, then something else is broken and you are never satisfied.

Unless you take the stance you are happy as long as you get your job done.