Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 AM

Default PT8 sync errors in AAF imports

I'm getting sync errors in programmes imported via AAF files from Avids . Often the first few regions on a track are in sync then for some reason everything from that point on, on that track, slips late in the timeline.

I can't see any reason why it should happen, there are no odd edits at the point where the error occurs.

The programmes are cut on Avid Media Composers and then exported as AAFs. I import them into Pro Tools for dubbing. The sync errors started when I updated to HD2 and PT8... has anyone heard of a bug related to AAF/OMF imports?

Importing the AAF into another Avid works fine, with no sync errors. Only Pro Tools gets it wrong
Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM

Default Re: PT8 sync errors in AAF imports

Just to confirm you have no Pull-Up/Down settings inadvertently enabled.

Easy to do and really easy to miss.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 AM

Hi. Pretty sure everything is set to 25fps. Oddly the regions go out of sync suddenly at what seems to be an arbitary point in the timeline (though it probably isn't arbitary, if only I knew what's causing it). They aren't drifting out of sync, it's a sudden offset - of up to a minute. (!)

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM

That is weird.

Embedded or Referenced AAF?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:20 AM

embedded, and I'm copying all the media not linking to it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 AM

I have 7.4.2 and 8 here if you'd like me to take a look?

drop me an email if you want.

It's not a problem that I've seen but it's a process I do nearly everyday so troubleshooting is something we do a lot of

Let me know.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:38 PM

We are having the same problem repeatedly. Beginning of sequence is in sync - not a problem. But at a point in time (never the same), the regions lose sync with picture. On a 30 minute show, we saw them slip in and out of time from ~minute 7.

This DOES NOT happen with OMFs. However, OMFs are less and less of an option - considering the MXF media associated with HD.

If anyone knows WHY this is happening, please post!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 PM

I posted about the same problem here last month. (with no response to my offer to send in an offending aaf export)
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=264582

I had an aaf created in Avid MC4, where two out of 8 tracks slipped out of sync at a seemingly random point, about 20 minutes in, and from there to the end of the program. 23.976 timeline, the material also imported out of sync from the beginning. The same aaf imported into my MC4 brought everything in at the correct locations, without slippage. Just like headclog's post.

Slippage problems have occured since then, with two different clients, one of whom exported from Final Cut, and the timelines are all 23.976. The same problem occurred in December from an early version of FCP (that could not export volume automation). I had suspected the editor, but now I think it happened because of Pro Tools.

I have run into the exact same problems on my last two 23.976 FCP jobs, which are omf exports of course. We all know about the fact that the actual timecode positions are wrong, that is fixed by sliding the audio into sync. But, I have also found out of sync audio. The same symptoms, the audio suddenly is out of sync for no reason I can see.

My most recent omfs from two days ago exibited all of these symptoms, again. What's worse, we found numerous regions that appeared out of sync by one or two frames, but following regions were in sync again. I have no idea why or what, is the cause.

Something got broken. Any ideas Digi? How can we help you?

And while we're complaining, is there any way to get rid of those messages that tell us regions got dropped! I mean come on, at least tell us WHAT and WHERE.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Has anyone else run into this problem? I've been wrestling with this for a couple of days now, and can't find a pattern, though the error is completely repeatable. The same sequence from Avid MC 3.5.9 will have the same nonsense sync problems if exported several times. Since it only appeared to affect tracks 1 and 2, we put tone on 1 & 2 and moved the rest of the sequence down. It didn't help. Those same regions are now shifted out of sync on tracks 3 & 4.

Any ideas?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Hi haven't read the whole thread but wanted to tap out a quick reply -Some time ago I saw an issue like this -cause was different sample rates in the Avid sequence. Try to export the AAF with referenced media (make a copy and convert sample and bit rate on export)

-Also have found errors using AAF from Avid with referenced .wav files -suggest you use .mxf file type in Avid then select force to target session format on import to run the PT session as .wav

hope this helps

Bruno