Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Re: How long untill protools LE can run on leopard?

Hello,
It is what it is. Digi has failed to deliver their LE product to thousands of users worldwide. Its not whining here it is a fact. It doesnt matter why their not delivering the software at this point because at the end of the day its on them. People who sell Digi products have lots of cash invested and they are also not happy. Its not just users who make a living off Pro Tools. I am pissed at myself now for wasting 45 minutes on this message board instead of working on songs in Logic. Ok sorry I am done whining!
Have a good one
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM

I'm certain this all has something to do with new processors and 10.5.3. I had a 1st gen imac running 10.5.2 and PT LE perfectly. I upgraded my home imac to the new 3.06 (or whatever) fastest machine and PTLE would not even install. There is more than just os versions now for digi to deal with. It's also keeping up with processors. I bet digi was just waiting for apple to get to a certain point before updating PT HD, LE or M versions.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I am pissed at myself now for wasting 45 minutes on this message board instead of working on songs in Logic. Ok sorry I am done whining!
Have a good one
Now that was brilliant!
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:57 AM

It is quite amazing that some would blame the fellow users for this mishap, and call it whining, it's not like this problem is here for a month.
First of all I'm a professional, and just like some of you here have been using digidesign products for over 10 years now, never in all this time did I have to wait this long for an update, I bought new equipment being used to somewhat late reactions from digidesign, thinking the issue would be solved in the same time frame as usual. I am mostly loosing time like others at this point, however I'm loosing money as well since the equipment that I have invested in is dropping in value every day (MacBookPro/Digi003), and unfortunately I do not have the chance to use it with my 'new' digidesign products. It is obvious that the problem is much bigger then the company wants to admit, what is really frustrating is that the input we are receiving is amazingly poor, "few weeks more, we'll post you as we go.." is what David promised us, few weeks ago. In the meanwhile we received an offer to try out transfuser, not really the best move digidesign have made timing wise. It is also true that the blame is not entirely on digidesign but on apple as well, making it impossible for us to make a system downgrade, but having said that, and reading the David's post, digidesign was timely informed of the future plans from apple. I guess what I'm trying to say is that digidesign could be a bit more customer friendly through this period, after all we all are investing in them. We can only hope that we will see a stable (and code flexible) release of PT LE within 'few weeks' and that we will not have to wait in despair for the next one.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 AM

I'm really not meaning to offend anyone... I probably should have kept my rant to myself. I have my frustrations as well.
Gear: UA 6176, UA 2-1176, Daking IV, Presonus ADL-600, 2 GAP PRE73
Other Software: Ableton 8, Reason 4, Sibelius 6
Plugs: Mercury Bundle, Full UA
Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Check out that wet stuff on your shoes. Digi isn't even working on it. Today they released Transducer or some such for the full-blown Pro Tools so it's pretty clear where their priorities are and fixing LE isn't in that list.
Do you really think that Digi wouldn't like to have LE working with Leopard as soon as possible? Of what possible benefit is it to them to not have it working?

Until recently, their VI division was a different company. It's not like those people would have been working on the LE update if they weren't working on Transducer...and, since it seems that a good part of the delay is based on waiting for an update from Apple, I'm pretty sure that Digi has their proverbial hands tied to a degree at this point...

Quote:
I'm not very good with computers, so I cannot comment on why the HD works on Leopard and why LE doesn't. I'm sure they have a good explanation for that.
HD is an entirely different system that runs primarily on Digidesign's hardware, not on the computer's processor(s).

Quote:
Digi has failed to deliver their LE product to thousands of users worldwide. Its not whining here it is a fact. It doesnt matter why their not delivering the software at this point because at the end of the day its on them.
Sure, it's on them, and it's certainly hurt them financially...but I wouldn't say that it doesn't matter why when they're waiting on an update from Apple...
Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Avid

Hi All,

I'm David Gibbons, the VP of product marketing for Digidesign. I'm happy to offer an interim update on this issue (we'll ensure it gets cross-posted to other relevant threads too).

Since before our general manager Dave Lebolt's post in early April, we've been working in a very focused way on completing Leopard support. In fact, it has been our #1 priority as a company. We have placed no limits on the resources we're willing to apply to this task < every person capable of helping to resolve the issues is actively working on it every day. A few posters on the DUC have noticed that we intro'ed a public beta of a virtual instrument plug-in called ³Transfuser² this week, and some have speculated that we were spending time and resources on something that is not consequential < that Leopard compatibility is way more important... I want to reassure everyone that Transfuser was in development far before the Leopard issues came to light, and is developed by a separate R&D group based in Germany: the Digidesign ³A.I.R.² (Advanced Instrument Research) group.
These guys are dedicated to making virtual instruments only, and unfortunately their skillset can't add anything to fixing the operating system-related issues we're experiencing with Leopard, other than ensuring their plug-ins are Leopard compatible (believe me, we asked them!).

So how is it coming along? Well, together with Apple we have fixed almost all the outstanding bugs at this point, and expect to be able to provide another update very soon with details of the actual ship date. We're cautiously confident of beating the schedule Dave outlined. In fact, I wish that we could simply give you our best guess at the release date right now, but we want to be sure of the exact target date (very soon) so that you folks won¹t have any surprises.

I'd also like to say that we really understand and empathize with the annoyance and frustration being expressed on this thread: we take it very seriously when we can't deliver a fully compatible version of Pro Tools to any section of our user base, and consider meeting the needs of LE users to be vital to our long term ability to keep making cool audio software. So feel free to keep voicing these concerns loudly, and look out for another update from either Dave L. or me in the very near future.

David Gibbons

VP Product Marketing
Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the candid replay, Dave. It's exciting to hear the update will be coming out soon.
Gear: UA 6176, UA 2-1176, Daking IV, Presonus ADL-600, 2 GAP PRE73
Other Software: Ableton 8, Reason 4, Sibelius 6
Plugs: Mercury Bundle, Full UA
Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Dave...this is the way! Great to hear all this from you!

I also have to inform everybody that today I installed PTLE 7.4 cs4 on my Mac Pro 2.8 Hz, 4G Ram, without any extra plug-ings and IT WORKS.

I am really not a "computer guy" so I can't explain, maybe is like somebody said on the forum, that is extra-stuff that makes hard to run on Leopard. I'll keep you posted as I go deeper into it.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:

I can see very few scenarios where a true professional is losing money right now because of compatibility issues... unless it's THEIR fault.
That's an ignorant statement. This is a forum for LE. LE is what Digi has opened up for users that are professional, semi-professional, and amateurs. The whole gamut. So you're going to find a lot of people here who are not just doing this as "true professionals".