Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Digi Expansion HD (PCI) with PCIe host card.

Hi,

Considering moving from my G5 (PCIx) to a new Intel Mac, and was wondering if anyone was successfully using the PCI Expansion HD 7 slot chassis with a Intel Mac using a PCIe host card. I am running a Accel HD 6 system.

Thanks for any help / advice.

- JSR
Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Digi Expansion HD (PCI) with PCIe host card.

Quote:
Hi,

Considering moving from my G5 (PCIx) to a new Intel Mac, and was wondering if anyone was successfully using the PCI Expansion HD 7 slot chassis with a Intel Mac using a PCIe host card. I am running a Accel HD 6 system.

Thanks for any help / advice.

- JSR
Hi,

The Magma PE6R4 is the one to get! the lowest latency available. 6 slot, PCIe host card and 6 x PCIx slots

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the reply Crizdee...I'll go this route if I have to; I'm just not wanting to have to buy another expansion chassis if possible (such a "not fun / unsexy" purchase)...plus buying another expansion chassis plus the new mac will get expensive. Do you know if the Expansion HD will work at all in this configuration?

Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:24 PM

Magma will sell you the guts of a PE6R4 to put in your old chassis. It's still around $1,400 but it's cheaper than buying a whole new unit. According to them nothing has changed in the last eight years or so, as far as the actual chassis goes, except for the card slots and power supply.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 PM

thanks, that sounds like a good option...and as far as you know there is no issue going PCIe host to PCI cards?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 PM

Nope. That's what a lot of us with mac Pros are doing. It's the only option, at this point, for expanding beyond HD3 with an Intel Mac and it's working just fine.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:25 AM

If you have an older Magma chassis (like, two years old...a 6 card one, I think) and it connects to a G5 via PCI, can you somehow just switch out a cable so that chassis will now work with a Mac Pro using PCIe? Could it be that simple or would I have to buy a whole new chassis to work with a Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance for info...
Old 06-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
If you have an older Magma chassis (like, two years old...a 6 card one, I think) and it connects to a G5 via PCI, can you somehow just switch out a cable so that chassis will now work with a Mac Pro using PCIe? Could it be that simple or would I have to buy a whole new chassis to work with a Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance for info...
You need to replace the guts and the electronics in the chassis. The physical chassis itself hasn't been updated or changed in years.