Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 AM

Default drum tracks and rythm help!

hi i just recently bought pro tools le 7 with the mbox 2
and i need help getting a basic drum track going
it has bfd lite and all that other stuff, and i can make beats with my midi controller, but im not so good with that yet and i want to know if i can get any programmed beats or program some beats with xpand or bfd or reason so i can lay down a drum track and then get bass going and guitar and the rest
thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated :]
Old 05-08-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: drum tracks and rythm help!

You can program drums using PTLE and use third party programs as well. Reason is great but may be a little non user-friendly at first. If you want something that is easy to use out the box, then grab FL Studio. It may not be the best out there but it is the most user friendly. The you can ReWire those into your PTLE session. There are plenty of other programs out there to suit your needs. I recommend that you read the manual that came with PTLE and installed as a .pdf, it will answer a lot of other questions that you may have.

You can download loops from the web and import them in your session, check out Synchronics. It is a crazy tool!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:24 AM

well ive read the manual, but ill reread it today to get some stuff cleared up
also any info on how to do that on reason or bfd would be appreciated as i spent loads of money on all the stuff ive bought already and dont have money to buy more plugins yet
so any help would be great :]
Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 AM

If you want to rewire reason, open up an instrument track and insert reason (if you have installed ReWire, it should work automatically). Now you can start playing with Reason and laying down drums inside of Reason, or you can open up a midi track and program through the midi tracks. Make sure that you read the midi section in the manual. Also read the Reason manual to get you up and running.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 AM

This may help you get started with Reason Redrum (as long as you cross all fingers and toes)...

1. Create stereo instrument track in Pro Tools
2. Create a midi track in Pro Tools
3. Turn up volume in the instrument track (default is set to 0)
4. Create a new insert in the instrument track and set it to Reason (Insert>Multi-channel plug-in>Instrument>Reason Adapted for Digidesign). After you do this, you will notice that Reason Adapted opens - just minimise for a moment until you get to point 6.
5. Set the output in the midi track to Redrum
6. Make sure "Enable Pattern Section" is turned off in Redrum. You may need to scroll down in Reason to find Redrum as Reason is actually a whole series of "instruments" set out as tho they are mounted in a rack. You can muck around with changing the various drum channels and stuff once get the rest of this "tutorial" out of the way. Use the Help menu in Reason for more details.

Once you've done all this, you are then set to start creating your beats. You will notice in the Edit window in PT that the Midi track looks like a bunch of little squares and to the left there is something that looks like a piano keyboard. If you increase the size of the track by clicking on the keyboard and selecting "jumbo" you will also notice that the keyboard is divided into sections starting at 1 and going on up to 8. The "1" section is the part we are interested in for Redrum. If you can't see the 1 section use the scroll arrows on the edge of the piano keyboard to scroll to the section.

Once you are this point you can use the pencil tool in PT to draw in your "hits" in the squares. Follow your nose form this point. If you get this far and can't work it out, then you better get someone to show you in person.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:43 PM

thanks for all the info everyone
and does anyone have any info on how i should do my beats
like should i do the drum track before anything else?
im new to this whole recording thing and recording with midi is so awkward
like i can do a basic beat with hi hat kick and snare but i dont know any fills or more advanced beats :[ haha but yah any help would be awesome
and what does that pencil tool do if i draw in hits?
thanks everyone
Old 05-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Try this.

http://womb.mixerman.net/showthread.php?t=80

Cheers.