Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 01-22-2022, 03:17 PM

Default Pro Tools - Input Problem?

Hello all,

I am a guitarist and because there is no longer a forum thread "All things Guitar" and because my last question involving Pro tools (and therefore the Eleven Rack) upset somebody, so, I'll have to place the question here.

Now, in the previous version of ProTools 11.2.2 which I had to upgrade not long ago when I bought a new Win10 system - mainly to stop a number of problems I was having - I was using PT with guitar, Eleven Rack and a couple of guitar Plugins - they worked, ok, but one needed a workaround.

One thing that was required was setting the Input channel to "Guitar In". But I was just on the new computer and there was no "Guitar In" signal. It only show "No Input". And being just a guitarist and not knowing much about PT I have no idea what I need to do. So could someone please tell me how to get it appearing so I can start getting the Eleven Rack/guitar plugins to work correctly?

As always all help is greatly appreciated!

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP

Last edited by Vercingetorix; 01-22-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools - Input Problem?

Oh please let me. No I insist...

Start with checking what is your playback engine set to, Pro Tools has a habit of picking something different than you think, so check.

The IO labels you see in the input and output IO selectors are just text strings they have no intrinsic meaning.... and that can be confusing as heck to start with. The mapping between IO devices and names are controlled by Setup>IO>{Input, Output, Bus} pages. Normally (if the correct playback engine is selected... always double check) you can restore the expected IO labels by going to those pages and clicking the Default button, maybe selecting and deleting any existing IO paths first. If you do that with an Eleven Rack you should see the expected IO labels reappear... the label info is passed by the driver to Pro Tools. But sometimes this is just wrong/messed up, and it does not matter in any deep way. You can manually edit the label name for the third input in Setup>IO>Input and name it "Guitar In", or anything else you want. Again, it's just a text label for the UI.

The input IO in the Eleven Rack order is always the following (regardless of what IO label is put on them).

Rig Out L
Rig Out R
Guitar In
Mic In
Line in L
Line in R
Digital in L
Digital in R

It's might be worth messing around with those labels and proving you can change names to what you want... many folks will do that, say change "Line In" to label what the source is to make it easier to understand what's going on. Larger rigs will often do this, with care taken to setup all the IO labels before starting to track stuff.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools - Input Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oh please let me. No I insist...

Start with checking what is your playback engine set to, Pro Tools has a habit of picking something different than you think, so check.
Oh, God no ...

Yep ,that was the solution to this problem. Now, I am having a problem with the 11R Editor . Check appropriate forum!

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP