Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 08-28-2015, 03:08 PM

Default Re: S-3 vs D-Command

I think Eucon is so complex that nobody can predict where Avid has to do changes to get things working.
So while I'm sure you will get all new EuCon releases for S3, I doubt you get all new features...

Like the PT Mixer is following the controller only in PT12 not 11.
Have to test if VCA spill is in 11...

That's from Avid:

Quote:
With EuControl 3.3 we’ve also added VCA Spill to S3. There are a couple of powerful ways you can spill members to the surface and even a way to recall the last spilled VCA for quicker access.

We also managed to squeeze in the following fixes including the much requested fix for SHIFT + Fader touch not resetting to 0db!

What’s Fixed
• Shift + Fader touch does not set fader to 0dB (EUCON-2883)
• Meters on VCA strips do not update (appear) when creating a new VCA Master and assigning tracks (EUCON-3652)
• Changing Track meter width in Pro Tools does not update surface meters correctly (EUCON-3667)
• Dragging and dropping applications into EUCON Prefs not working in 3.2.2 release (EUCON-3689)
• Soft Key Icons in EuControl settings are pixelated on Retina displays (EUCON-3486)

OS Compatibility
• Windows 7 64-bit
• Windows 8.x 64-bit
• Mac OS 10.10.3+
• Mac OS 10.9.5

Pro Tools Compatibility
• Pro Tools 11.3.2+
• Pro Tools 12.1+
*NOTE: If you use EuControl 3.3 with Pro Tools 11.3.1 or earlier, meters will not appear on the control surface nor Pro Tools | Control app.
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 08-28-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Today I go buy a $5000 S3. I buy to use with my current version of ProTools HD 11. I never had any intentions whatsoever of joining any support plan in the future. So I will not get any updates to my S3 to be used with ProTools 11 going forward, after the day I buy it?
You wouldn't necessarily need to jump on a support plan as the option to purchase the latest software is still there. Although I take it that's not a option.

I think the easiest way to understand this would be that with any DAW manufacturers be it Pro Tools, Nuendo, logic etc its logical for them to invest more time on the current software version implementing new features etc moving the companies software and hardware integration forward.

For example Logic no longer has updates for 9 but has for X so users have the option upgrade to stay current or move to the latest release.

So with regards to EuControl it would be understandable if there will be more control implementation added in the future for Pro Tools 12 over 11.

To stay current with the latest features this is where the support plan would come into play as the latest Eucon Control is most likely going to be based around the current version of Pro Tools.

Regarding 3rd party DAWs this would be for them to work out from what new features become available in each EuControl Version.

So as things move forward you may wish to update your Pro Tools version to take advantage of new EuControl and DAW feature implementation as things progress.

Pro Tools is always going to be ahead of the others with regards to Eucon functionality as we know its primarily developed for use with Pro Tools then 3rd party DAWs do what they do.

I'd expect if you see new features added to 11 then S3 being a supported surface will control them and the latest Eucon build will apply to you.

However.

As and when Pro Tools 12 has new features added we know the S3 will support them I guess it's just down to if we will see anything new added to 11 that the S3 will control ?

The above is speculation on my part though.

I'm a 12 user with no issues however if I was in the situation that I felt there was features I was missing out on I would either purchase the software or jump on the support plan.

Another example of what's going on with EuControl is that it's used for PTC and that's only for PT12

What updates do you currently feel the S3 needs to control PT11 ?

Idea scale would be a good place to post them with a follow up post on the forum here asking people to go vote on it.

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 08-29-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrie View Post
You wouldn't necessarily need to jump on a support plan as the option to purchase the latest software is still there. Although I take it that's not a option.

I think the easiest way to understand this would be that with any DAW manufacturers be it Pro Tools, Nuendo, logic etc its logical for them to invest more time on the current software version implementing new features etc moving the companies software and hardware integration forward.

For example Logic no longer has updates for 9 but has for X so users have the option upgrade to stay current or move to the latest release.

So with regards to EuControl it would be understandable if there will be more control implementation added in the future for Pro Tools 12 over 11.

To stay current with the latest features this is where the support plan would come into play as the latest Eucon Control is most likely going to be based around the current version of Pro Tools.

Regarding 3rd party DAWs this would be for them to work out from what new features become available in each EuControl Version.

So as things move forward you may wish to update your Pro Tools version to take advantage of new EuControl and DAW feature implementation as things progress.

Pro Tools is always going to be ahead of the others with regards to Eucon functionality as we know its primarily developed for use with Pro Tools then 3rd party DAWs do what they do.

I'd expect if you see new features added to 11 then S3 being a supported surface will control them and the latest Eucon build will apply to you.

However.

As and when Pro Tools 12 has new features added we know the S3 will support them I guess it's just down to if we will see anything new added to 11 that the S3 will control ?

The above is speculation on my part though.

I'm a 12 user with no issues however if I was in the situation that I felt there was features I was missing out on I would either purchase the software or jump on the support plan.

Another example of what's going on with EuControl is that it's used for PTC and that's only for PT12

What updates do you currently feel the S3 needs to control PT11 ?

Idea scale would be a good place to post them with a follow up post on the forum here asking people to go vote on it.
Look into things, it's not like that. Notice that I made the point in two separate threads here where Avid was active and now they have become deafeningly silent!

Avid, crickets.........Avid....... R U there?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-30-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Look into things, it's not like that. Notice that I made the point in two separate threads here where Avid was active and now they have become deafeningly silent!

Thats the way I'm reading it from the Avid reply on both threads.

It would be pretty safe to say you will get the updates for free as PTC is running EuControl and is free.
I'd think the only issue is if the updates are relevant to the version of Pro Tools that you are using. For example as I said above if it's a Pro Tools 12 feature then it wouldn't apply to you.

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM
Avid

Quote:
Today I go buy a $5000 S3. I buy to use with my current version of ProTools HD 11. I never had any intentions whatsoever of joining any support plan in the future. So I will not get any updates to my S3 to be used with ProTools 11 going forward, after the day I buy it?
You'll have access to EuControl without a support contract.

The issue is that your results may vary on legacy software as half of making S3 (and all EUCON devices) work well with DAWs is DAW specific development.

Most companies don't add new features to old releases, so any DAW's interoperability with EUCON will be dependent on their resource allocation to and deployment of the latest EUCON adapter.

We generally support the latest and previous release for testing and qualifications, but new features are only in the latest version.

JC
Old 08-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Avid

Quote:

Barry,

we have a lot to do here, developing products, researching new opportunities, and working together across teams (and companies) to make things happen.

We can't be on the boards 24/7. You posted on 8/28, a Friday. I replied on 8/31, a Monday.

We appreciate your patience and continued participation in the dialog.

It seems we are having trouble communicating some points, that Norrie and others have helped clarify. If you need more time or attention from me on this, please email me directly at [email protected].

JC
Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
No you will get free updates to the S3 for as long as you own it. What you will not get updates for is pro tools. So if you have a feature release for the S3, you get that, but if you need PT 12 to implement that feature, you will not get an updated PT version. You can use that new S3 feature on other DAWs that support that feature. You probably will have to update to a new version of that DAW as well. I am sure that will cost money too.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
No you will get free updates to the S3 for as long as you own it. What you will not get updates for is pro tools. So if you have a feature release for the S3, you get that, but if you need PT 12 to implement that feature, you will not get an updated PT version. You can use that new S3 feature on other DAWs that support that feature. You probably will have to update to a new version of that DAW as well. I am sure that will cost money too.
That is not the case for the S6. You have to be current on your service plan to get the updates. Where is it written otherwise for the S3?

The only useful info I can glean from all these posts is that Eucon/Eucontrol firmware will be free and available? Its all very confusing.