Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Avid

Default Re: S3 or D-command?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Tom, help me understand the support plan requirement for the s3, a 4k controller. 600 a year to keep it up to date!
With EuControl/Artist/S3, features are delivered in adapters. The Pro Tools adapter gets features first.

That's why there is an advantage to being on the latest version of Pro Tools when you have an EuControl/Artist/S3 surface, the latest version of Pro Tools will have the latest adapter. You don't need a support contract specific to EuControl/Artist/S3 - you get the features in Pro Tools.

3P's can implement features after Pro Tools does, when we make them available in the public SDK. It's a priority to us to implement the latest features. 3P's are variably incentivized to implement SDK features, so if control surface integration is important to you, the latest version of Pro Tools is the best solution.

S6 is a separate technology base and delivery target for features.
A lot of features are S6 specific, and are not realized in EuControl surfaces.

It’s above and beyond what EUCON in the EuControl world does, and takes substantial development.

If you use old S6 software with new DAW adapters, your mileage may vary, you won’t have access to the latest development on both sides.
So there is a definite advantage to being on Pro Tools and S6 support plans.

JC
Old 08-31-2015, 03:36 AM

D-command! Learn what it can do and you'll never look back. I would suggest making a pull-out keyboard tray under it so that you can get the unit closer when you're just mixing. No other controller puts the things you need most right in front of you. My 0.02 cents.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:35 AM

I would be way more interested in the S-3/S-6 if I could run an MC524 instead of an Xmon

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-31-2015, 04:13 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
I would be way more interested in the S-3/S-6 if I could run an MC524 instead of an Xmon
Those don't really apply to the S3. It has a built-in stereo AVB interface that can act as a standalone monitor section.

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 09-01-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
Those don't really apply to the S3. It has a built-in stereo AVB interface that can act as a standalone monitor section.
Tom, if you don't use the AVB interface, but just use the S3 as a monitor controller, is the signal path 100% analogue, or does it pass through some AD/DA conversion?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtung View Post
D-command! Learn what it can do and you'll never look back. I would suggest making a pull-out keyboard tray under it so that you can get the unit closer when you're just mixing. No other controller puts the things you need most right in front of you. My 0.02 cents.
Yeah, Icon. There are some good deals around if you look. However Avid trashed trade-ins to keep them off the streets.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
Yeah, Icon. There are some good deals around if you look. However Avid trashed trade-ins to keep them off the streets.

IF this is true would be sad, the marketing department must know some people will never upgrade, just call them factory repacks and resell them
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
Tom, if you don't use the AVB interface, but just use the S3 as a monitor controller, is the signal path 100% analogue, or does it pass through some AD/DA conversion?
The monitor section is the AVB interface so you are using it as an A/D and D/A then.

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 09-19-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtung View Post
This discussion makes it clear that Avid will never sell me another controller. My D-Command is perfect, and was priced so that a mid size commercial music studio could justify the investment. When the Pro Tools software no longer supports it, I will freeze my studio at that version of ProTools and keep making records with it as is.

The new S6 is priced way above my market, clearly targeted toward corporate post facilities who still make money, and to whom paying $1000 a year for a subscription/maintenance plan is no big deal.

Avid is chasing the money, which they need to do to survive. Too bad folks like me get left behind.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 09-19-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
This discussion makes it clear that Avid will never sell me another controller. My D-Command is perfect, and was priced so that a mid size commercial music studio could justify the investment. When the Pro Tools software no longer supports it, I will freeze my studio at that version of ProTools and keep making records with it as is.

The new S6 is priced way above my market, clearly targeted toward corporate post facilities who still make money, and to whom paying $1000 a year for a subscription/maintenance plan is no big deal.

Avid is chasing the money, which they need to do to survive. Too bad folks like me get left behind.

Summed up perfectly!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.