Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 AM

Default Do you accept your Win7 updates?

I'm wondering if I should stay away or accept all the win7 security and other updates it constantly offers!?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Do you accept your Win7 updates?

As always... Update at your own risk, and always have a backup plan!

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
As always... Update at your own risk, and always have a backup plan!
Same advice from me. I am running Acronis right now, restoring(re-cloning) a drive that started acting up(not from an update). I would clone or image, then install the updates and see how it goes. Personally, once I have a system up and working, I skip updates(auto-update is turned OFF) as I have no need, since my PT machine is never on the internet for more than a few minutes to grab a driver update if needed. Also, if you download updates and files on another machine, you should scan those files for viruses/malware/trojans before transferring them to your audio machine(I found out the hard way).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 PM

I ocassionally check for updates manually, and install them. So far, no problems. But I always have an Acronis bkup just in case.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-16-2011, 05:13 PM

I recently installed all the latest win updates. So far so good. I too always keep a disc image backup incase.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 AM

I built my system almost two years ago now. When I first installed W7, I updated the OS, but I haven't done a single update or hooked it up to the internet since then.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
I built my system almost two years ago now. When I first installed W7, I updated the OS, but I haven't done a single update or hooked it up to the internet since then.
Agreed. This is the best way to go. Setting up your system is painful, so do it once and do it right. Then, don't connect it back to the internet unless you really have to. You might have to once in a while, to get a license authorization or some other strange thing, but most of the time you'll find it's entirely unnecessary (you can take your iLoks to some other machine and authorize them there, and except for the oddball stuff like Line6 that wants direct authorization there's really no need to connect to the internet).

If you're not connected to the internet, you don't need any Microsoft security auto-updates. So, before you disconnect your machine for the last time, set the firewall security to "block everything" and leave it there - that way if you ever have to connect to the internet again, you won't get the mysterious auto-updates till you specifically allow them.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
Currently, Service Pack 1 is not a Pro Tools requirement however any updates Pro Tools needs are installed as prerequisites. Pro Tools however is generally not a standalone programme, meaning third party drivers for Peripherals may require updates supplied by a service pack. Obviously, the peripheral requirements are outlined by the manufacturer but failure to update can and does render some peripherals to behave in a not so predicable manner. So even through a rig can be offline installing Qualified Service Packs is not such a silly option from time to time.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Currently, Service Pack 1 is not a Pro Tools requirement however any updates Pro Tools needs are installed as prerequisites. Pro Tools however is generally not a standalone programme, meaning third party drivers for Peripherals may require updates supplied by a service pack. Obviously, the peripheral requirements are outlined by the manufacturer but failure to update can and does render some peripherals to behave in a not so predicable manner. So even through a rig can be offline installing Qualified Service Packs is not such a silly option from time to time.
Provided you have a backup plan for if/when things go wrong.

You're totally, right, though. Occasionally offline rigs require updates of some sort to keep up with evolving software and hardware. New additions can mean updates are necessary to the OS and sometimes Pro Tools itself. You just have to be vigilant and make sure you install what you need, rather than what's new, and always always have a backup plan.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
You just have to be vigilant and make sure you install what you need, rather than what's new
I like that, install what you need rather than what's new.