Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 02:30 PM

Default 7.2 cs2

before cs2 when the firewire video sync offset was enabled (22 quarterframes) and when you would spot a quicktime @ 1 hr exact it would automatically slip it 22 1/4 frms before the hour if i remember correctly?
well w cs2 doesn't do that: i had to manually slip the qt
just me? bug?
digi please check that out quick, i'm about to start a big syncing session :_(
Old 11-18-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: 7.2 cs2

It always worked like that to me.When you need to spot accuratly you need to put video inside ProTools and then go back thru Firewire.That's the bad side for this inexpensive way to work with movies.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:37 AM

You're not supposed to slip the QuickTime, you're supposed to spot it to the correct time so that in park you are always on the right frame.

The video offset delays the audio (or advances the video) to correct for video latency on playback only.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:34 AM

What I always do with any QT audio...and mind you I do not use a Canopus FW device...but this might help: is make sure you get a 2 pop in pix AND audio placed exactly at 00:59:58:00 (hence the name 2 pop for 2 seconds). Zoom in and cut your audio at the first mod of the audio.....which I split to Audio 1 and Audio 2...now snap audio using marker at the 2, and check that it's at the exact first 1/4 frame by nudging left with quarters set.. you can now be sure your 22 quarter frames will be tight enough.. I've been using the Miro DC 30 card which is happy with a 12 quarter frames offset....but that was with an older slower LCD...which is pertinent to non FW display options. Since I recently upgraded to a G5 that the Miro solution has been retired for me and with a QT window floating on top of PT I run no offset currently. My approach has been dead on for at least 2 years now with 3 feature films and 2 seasons of a TV show with picture cut in old Avid FilmComposer, newer Avid MediaComposer/Adreniline and FCP, where the sync accuracy of this was seen on several different display setups....ie Virtual VTR, other LCD's, Kona and Canopus, etc. My experience says that it's the audio that drifts in relationship to picture and NOT the other way around. Check it out for yourself, with your tried and true 1/4 frame compensations and see if it helps. BTW, this has worked for me from PT 6.4 thru current 7.2cs2 as well as with my LE rigs from 6.x to current 7.1cs10. Long live the 2 pop!!!

Wilson Dyer mpse

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television