Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Monitor Calibration and Room Compensation.

I currently rent out of a small production suite in New York city. The room was supposed to have been build with great acoustics but I beg to differ. I monitor using Genelec 1031A's and NS-10's. The NS-10's are not in problem in this room but the Genelecs just may be to big for this room. I've been noticing there a lot of companies coming out with monitors (including genelec) with calibrating and room compensation software. Does anyone know of a company that has come out with a similar software that operates by compensating right before it hits the speakers? Meaning the speakers themselves are not calibrated but the signal is, just before it goes out to the speakers. I'm thinking that if one enters the parameters (ie, genelec 1031a) places the mic in the spot where one is to most likely be seated while monitoring, the software should be able to compensate. Maybe just a bad idea though... Still would be interesting to see if such a software would provide good results, rather than have to spend more money on monitors and acoustic treatment for a place that I will most likely be moving out of in a few months....
Old 09-18-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Monitor Calibration and Room Compensation.

yeah, a specrum analyzer, pink noise, and dual 31 band eq's.

one thing to keep in mind. phase.

what ya do is run a flat mic into the specrum analyzer, run piunk noise out the monitors and place dual 31 band eq's between the amp and control room control.

eq till it's flat.

live sound 101. not good for recording because of.. phase.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 AM

http://www.audyssey.com/soundequalizer.html

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-18-2006, 11:46 AM

...you're probably better off getting some bass traps for the corners, floor-wall, and ceiling-wall junctions. You really don't want to eq your monitors, this often causes more problems then fixes; plus you said you were happy with the NS-10's performance, so you probably don't want to eq that. You would be surprised with the results of putting a couple of bass traps up...start with a couple, and then add more as needs. I would recommend Real Traps (http://www.realtraps.com/), or the corner trap that RPG makes (http://www.rpginc.com/products/modexcorner/index.htm). The RPG may be easier to work with, you can simply place it in the corner(s) of your room. The Real Traps require some simple installation.