Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-23-2002, 11:20 PM

Default Avid Windows to Pro Tools/AV Mac

How do I get an OMF export from an Avid Xpress system on a PC running Windows NT to a Pro Tools/AV system on a Mac running OS 9.2.2?

I had the editor consolidate audio and video to a NTFS formated drive. The we did an OMFI 2.0 export.

Now I have a NTFS formated drive with the OMF and all the media (video omf's & audio wav's) on it.

I tryed to open on Mac and Digitranslator but I can't get it to do so.

I copyed the files to a Mac formated drive and I still can't open.

Is OMF platform dependent or should I be able to open this on Mac?

Any help?
Old 06-24-2002, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Avid Windows to Pro Tools/AV Mac

Does MacOS reads NTFS drives?

Try getting it on a HPFS or FAT drive (at least those I know mac reads).

OMFi guidelines:
- Video
I'm not sure if you'll be able to get video in the omf so try creating a "non-video" version.

- OMF
Try to make it non-consolidated OMF so all the audio files will be external (not inside to OMF).
AIFF files.

Translating...
Pro Tools AV mac as far as I know is pretty old so I'm not sure how much support you'll get for it.

The best resolution is to get the material into a newer system such as PT 5.1 and then saved the session inside pt (in the old 4.x format) for further work on the AV version.
5.3.1 introduced new DigiTranslator...
Old 06-24-2002, 08:04 PM

don't use NTFS drives. Use Fat32 formatted drives, and it should work fine. Hell, you can even burn the OMF session to a CD-R, and transfer it that way.

Living the dream.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:56 PM

OK, guess what?........

I just gave DigiTranslator more RAM and it did it's thing and spit out a Pro Tools session complete with all 8 audio tracks (converted Wav to SD2), automation and all the video clips in my play list.

So the solution was more RAM. It seems that it was crashing before it could give me a type 2 (out of memory) error message. So it took me a wile to figure it out.

But now I have a new problem.

The session is cool as far as audio but I got a error message when the session opened saying: "video files have incompatable AVR level".

Now I have come to find out that I am using the Avid ABVB board and video editor is using the Avid Meridien board.

Is there a format he can export that I can use?

or

Is there a way to convert the file I got from him to make it compatable with AVR (ABVB) system?

Bottom Line: Are video files from ABVB and systems based on the Meridien video subsystem compatable?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:02 AM

This is a long shot, but try Media Cleaner to convert the video..... It's worth a try
Old 06-28-2002, 04:39 PM

No ABVB and Meridian are not compatable. I think you will have to have the editor lay off to tape and re dig.