Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2001, 09:32 AM

Default Dumb question: JV-2080 mono and stereo outs yield identical PTLE tracks?

I am trying to figure out how to best upgrade my preamps and A/Ds (separate thread). I now do all preamp and A/D in a Yamaha 01v, then to digi001/PTLE via optical.

I use MIDI tracks in PTLE for drums, bass, keyboards, and horns. I ultimately generate audio tracks with a JV-2080. The 2080 output is currently stereo outs to the 01v, since I have plenty of 01v inputs.

I am now trying to determine if I could get by with a 2-in/2-out A/D "box" (rather than an RME ADI-8 Pro). To do that, I would need to use one input for a mic and the other for a mono signal from the 2080.

Question: Do the two options below yield identical stereo tracks in PTLE?

(1) run stereo outs from the 2080 to the two inputs of (say) a Rosetta, then out to a PTLE stereo audio track?
or
(2) Run mono out from the 2080 to one input on the Rosetta, then the mono signal out to both sides of a PTLE stereo track?

I think these result in identical tracks....but I just want confirmation of this. Things are not always as they seem.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!
Mike
Old 08-03-2001, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Dumb question: JV-2080 mono and stereo outs yield identical PTLE tracks?

Hi there,

Your Example #1 will work fine. Stereo JV-2080 into a stereo track.

Your Example #2 sounds a little strange. I think you can just use the left(?) output from the JV-2080 to extract a mixed mono output. That would feed into one Rosetta channel. I don't think it could create a dual mono feed for Pro Tools, but that doesn't matter. Just use a mono Pro Tools track, and don't worry about a using up 'precious' stereo track. And as Carl said, you're JV-2080 will end up mono, as that's what came out of it.

Any problems, just post away!

Phil
Old 08-03-2001, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Dumb question: JV-2080 mono and stereo outs yield identical PTLE tracks?

accession,
Yes I know its weird. I'm trying to cheat and use only one of the two high quality converters, while still ending up with a stereo track that I can pan. I normally don't pan the 2080 outputs (drums, bass, keyboards), but occasionally I do want to pan a 2080 output.

Could I do this by simultaneously recording the mono signal to two PTLE mono tracks fully panned right and left, respectively?

Am I making any sense?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-03-2001, 06:30 PM

I don't think you're going to get the results you're looking for. As pretty much everyone else has stated, you will lose any panning or stereo patch-specific information from your 2080. Just taking a Mono signal, splitting it and recording it twice (L/R) will not yield the same results as using the stereo output of your module.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:45 PM

Slim,
OK, thanks. That's what I needed to know. Harsh reality intrudes.

So, if I go with a 2-in 2-out A/D box (Rosetta, etc.) I believe that means:

(1) When I record mic input (vocals, gutar) thru the new box, I must have the 2080 stereo outs plugged into the 01v for monitoring.

(2) When I am ready to record the 2080 stereo outs (drums, bass, keyboards), I have unplug the mics and plug the 2080 outs into the new box.

No way to avoid physically changing connections. Am I right on this?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-04-2001, 12:45 AM

You would lose all your pan information.

C