Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2003, 01:08 PM

Default Re: System Hard Drive melt down during mixing session

Dude that is SCARY.
i for one am using a t-bird with ME on it with no glitches. I have resisted the XP upgrade because I am scared to screw with the system.
Hope you find a fix for it. Keep us posted.
Kev
Old 01-06-2003, 02:18 PM

HELL YEAH that’s happened to me!! Twice!!! Both times on the night before a project was due. I have no idea what caused it but I was able to fix it the second time. (the first time I reformatted like you did.)
I ended up pulling out the session drive, switching driver settings on the master disk, and using the XP repair option on the XP CD. -by the way, repair option... WAY over my head... but "help" brought up a list of commands and I was able to reconfigure boot something-or-other and got it to start.
Good luck with the reinstall. Now I'm not saying it's a good thing that it happened to you, but at least I'm not the only victim anymore.

-drew
Old 01-06-2003, 03:00 PM

Same exact thing has happened to me.. I reformatted as well, after I majorly screwed up my boot sector with the XP repair utility [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2003, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames08:
Same exact thing has happened to me.. I reformatted as well, after I majorly screwed up my boot sector with the XP repair utility [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I’d like to say it was my incredible computer skills that allowed me to fix it, but in all honesty, I’m sure it was 100% luck. The “help” command that brought up the list of different commands was a wild guess… I had no Idea what I was doing!
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2003, 03:12 PM

No I havent had that happen at all, but I do have a question sort-of related,

How much do DVD-R Hold? Would this be the best Backup? I just dont want to get another HD just yet..
Old 01-06-2003, 03:18 PM

that happened to my laptop here at work.Sorry to say I had to have my hard drive replaced.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:52 PM

YES! YES! YES! What a pain in the a*%. Luckily though, I just installed Win XP to my audio drive, grabbed all the files I needed from the crashed system drive, then reformatted system drive and installed XP back to the system drive.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:44 PM

thanks for the out-pouring of sympathy...

I'm sort of back on the air now, except my waves gold bundle isn't re-authorized yet. it takes a while, I understand.

[David S. -- any comments for those of us who have experienced this bizarre thing?]

Russ
Old 01-06-2003, 05:52 PM

I had a hard drive crash when I changed the SPDIF mirroring (running XP). It happened to me twice. The first time, I thought is was it just a coincidence. It happened again under the same circumstances. There is a known bug related to SPDIF mirror, though not necessarily a hard drive crash like I experienced.
Anyone else have a HD crash after changing the SPDIF mirror? This is bad! Make sure you use ghost to backup your hard drive.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:46 AM

Default System Hard Drive melt down during mixing session

Well, with three clients in the studio listening to a mix of their songs (PTLE 5.3.1, Digi001, Athlon XP1900
Waves 3.6, Autotune 3.0, about 15 audio tracks playing back) Pro Tools suddenly started the harsh, grinding noise
indicating a system lockup requiring a hard shut down and reboot. This happens in every third
or fourth session.

This time, though the system would not reboot. The blue screen of death said something about
"boot volume not accessible." The session was over to say the least.

6 hours later after exhausting less invasive options (took all cards out of the computer and went
to fail-safe BIOS settings) I reformatted the boot volume and reinstalled winxp.
This went OK and seemed to solve the problem. Tonite I'm reinstalling and reauthorizing (I hope)
all of the software I have.

Has anyone else has this experience?

thanks

Russ