Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2008, 10:37 AM

Default Time code + VCA + FWx

Hello dear forum ,

I hope you can help out on three questions :

Is it possible to assign a Aux send (on a channel strip) to a VCA ?

How can I make a snapshot that will start (play) the MTC code, I did notice the functions for Midi suche as, play, stop, ffw, etc, but this is about MMC ..? I would like to couple other systems to the MTC generator (via Midi) this in order server as trigger.

The question on the FWx card is :
Is there a way to record more than only 18 channels ?

Haydo,
Arjan
Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Time code + VCA + FWx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe-sound View Post
Is it possible to assign a Aux send (on a channel strip) to a VCA ?
Yes, assign it to the VCA the same way that you would assign a channel strip. I'm going to do this with our FX sends because it makes more sense than having the VCA set for the FX returns.

Quote:
How can I make a snapshot that will start (play) the MTC code, I did notice the functions for Midi suche as, play, stop, ffw, etc, but this is about MMC ..? I would like to couple other systems to the MTC generator (via Midi) this in order server as trigger.
I'll give this a try but I haven't had need to lock Venue to MTC, or trigger other systems from Venue using MTC so off the top of my head I don't know.

Quote:
The question on the FWx card is :
Is there a way to record more than only 18 channels ?
Currently, no, but most Pro Tools LE interfaces can only record eight channels at once so this is actually a step forward.

Erik
Old 10-15-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
I'll give this a try but I haven't had need to lock Venue to MTC, or trigger other systems from Venue using MTC so off the top of my head I don't know.
Yes, it is possible to drive other devices using the Venue MTC generator. Using the Options Tab from the GUI go to the snapshots page and select generate in the MTC section. You will have to set up your start time in the timecode window, and then in the main Gui window near the bottom right you will see the MTC Gen title and a little square and right pointing triangle. These are your stop and play buttons for the MTC Generator.

Good Luck,

Erik
Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 AM

Pre-sound: The FWx Card uses the same driver code as the 002/003 Firewire driver which currently supports 18 channels. The 002/3 has 8 analogue ins, 8 ADAT ins and 2 SPDIF = 18. If you want to record more, then you can move up to HD if you can afford it, or try to strap another PTLE system to the venue using MTC somehow and make sure that the audio clock is in sync - if using an 003, you can use word clock, otherwise you might have to use SPDIF or ADAT.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response.
All many thanx for the thinking_alonge and the suggestions.

Maybe I can re-phrase the question on the AUX to VCA toppic.

Is it possible to asign a single aux send (on a input channel not the aux master ... ) to a VCA
Per example :
Assign only Aux 4 send on channel 3 to VCA 8. In this case Aux 4 is a wedge monitor group. And channel 3 is responsible for a saxofone solo you would like quickly to control.... on the wedge monitor

For the toppic on the FWx card:
Maybe I found a other solution for my track problem and maybe there are forum members with experance on this:
In my case 18 tracks is just not enough. can I connect my old M-audio 1814 Fire wire converter in chain with my FWx card? natural I did tray this , but my protools LE (version 6.5) is not spotting this 1814 module ... now what...

Haydo
Arjan
Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Avid

Hi,

Quote:
Is it possible to asign a single aux send (on a input channel not the aux master ... ) to a VCA
Not directly. The only way to do this is to use a post-fade aux send on that particular channel, then assign the channel to the VCA (since VCAs do affect post-fade aux sends). The limitation is that adjusting the VCA will affect all post-fade aux sends for that particular channel.

Quote:
can I connect my old M-audio 1814 Fire wire converter in chain with my FWx card?
No, it's not possible to connect multiple Pro Tools LE interfaces at the same time.

Sheldon
Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 AM

you could duplicate the saxophone channel to a second channel. that way the second channel feeds the monitors only, and you can assign that to a VCA. this would achieve what you described.