Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 AM

Default Corrupt session file? Opens up completely empty.

Running a G5, 10.4.11, 2GHz PPC, 1GB RAM, HD2 system with v.7.3.

This has happened a few times now, where I open up a session that has been worked on, and nothing shows up in it. No tracks or audio files. This hasn't been a big deal since I backup regularly, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it eventually!
Also, when I install the cs updates, it is not indicated in the menu bar, or "About ProTools". Is this related, since I thought that one of the updates was supposed to fix data loss?

I reluctantly admit that I do have a UAD card installed running v.4.9. Please don't be like my doctor and automatically assume that the UAD card is the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Avid

Default Re: Corrupt session file? Opens up completely empty.

What type of drive(s) are you storing your sessions on? Were those drives formatted using the OS X disk utility?

Do the sessions open up blank, as in there's no regions in the edit window, or are there regions, but no audio? If the latter is the case, does the Tasks window show that it's trying to relink?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM

In most cases, the drive is an internal "Seagate" (I'm pretty sure that's the brand), independent of the System Drive - not a partition. Yes, they are both formatted using Disk Utility.

However, in this most recent situation a session folder was copied from this internal drive described above, to an iPod and transferred to the desktop of an identical system (as identical as you can get with authorizations and such).

When the session opens, there is literally nothing. No tracks even for the region to display faded. Opening up the region bin shows nothing, which leads me to believe there wouldn't be any Audio Files to search for.

Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:14 AM

are you on

7.3 + cs

or

7.3.1 +cs

As I remember did 7.3 produce corruption

ale
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM

I've tried updating to 7.3.1cs5, but it won't indicate that I actually updated. It only shows 7.3.1. Shouldn't the version be displayed in the menu bar, and the "About ProTools" as 7.3.1cs5? Is there the possibility that I'm not actually updating to the "cs" version?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Avid

Pro Tools does note reflect the installation of cs updates. You just have to know the version of the cs update you last installed.

The only way it wouldn't have updated properly is if the installer crashed or something. If the installer went through without a hitch, then the cs update is installed properly.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
In most cases, the drive is an internal "Seagate" (I'm pretty sure that's the brand), independent of the System Drive - not a partition. Yes, they are both formatted using Disk Utility.

However, in this most recent situation a session folder was copied from this internal drive described above, to an iPod and transferred to the desktop of an identical system (as identical as you can get with authorizations and such).

When the session opens, there is literally nothing. No tracks even for the region to display faded. Opening up the region bin shows nothing, which leads me to believe there wouldn't be any Audio Files to search for.

Any ideas?
So this problem ONLY cropped up when doing the transfer via iPod? If so - on what machine was the iPod originally formatted - Mac or PC?

Have you possibly tried moving the session via another method - hard drive, CD/DVD, etc? If so, did it work?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM

FYI, doing a "Get Info" (Apple-I) on the Pro Tools application in Finder will display the CS #.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:

So this problem ONLY cropped up when doing the transfer via iPod? If so - on what machine was the iPod originally formatted - Mac or PC?

Have you possibly tried moving the session via another method - hard drive, CD/DVD, etc? If so, did it work?
The iPod was formatted on a Mac. I realize that this iPod adds another variable into the equation, and maybe I'll just have to wait until it happens again and be very diligent when documenting the problem. Before this last instance (only happened 2-3 times over the period of about 6 months), I had assumed "operator error" and had no way of knowing what exactly transpired. I know for a fact that some clients come in with drives that are partitioned, one for Mac and the other for PC (very bad karma), so I have to take that into account as well.

I'll try transferring via flash drive and if no miracles occur, I think it's a wrap. I appreciate all your help and hopefully I won't encounter this problem again.

Thanks again.

-Jon
Old 02-07-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
FYI, doing a "Get Info" (Apple-I) on the Pro Tools application in Finder will display the CS #.
Thanks Colin, that was a very useful tidbit of info and I am in fact running the cs5 update.

-Jon