Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2021, 07:13 PM

Default Folders locked in default workspace

I'm trying to figure out why all my folders have a padlock icon when I open a new default workspace.

I keep all my projects on a dedicated audio drive, and when I open the folder in a new default workspace the majority of them aren't even shown.

And when I have a session open and I go to Window/Workspaces it's grayed out.

I've searched here to find an answer and have come up dry.

Right clicking and selecting "Unlock" doesn't do anything.

Running Windows 10 x64, PT 2020.12.

I am the only user on this machine.
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 case * Core i5-12600K * Gigabyte Z690 UD AX * 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 * 2X HP DreamColor Z24x G2 displays * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 * Samsung 980 boot drive * Samsung 870 EVO PT projects drive * Samsung 860 EVO PT archive drive * Novation Impulse 49 MIDI * PreSonus Studio 26c interface * PreSonus Bluetube V2 preamp * PreSonus HP4 headphone amp * JBL LR 305 monitors * Sennheiser HD 650 headphones *

Windows 10 Pro 64 21H2, Pro Tools 2022.7.0
Old 09-10-2021, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Folders locked in default workspace

Hmmm, never see that here so this is how I would approach it:

1-How is the audio drive formatted? It needs to be NTFS and BASIC(if you have been recording to this drive, then these settings are probably correct already).

2-Is Drive Indexing enabled on that drive? If so, disable it and test.

3-Is the drive set for Record(in the Workspace window>Permissions, you should see an R. If you see a T, try to change that to R.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-10-2021, 11:28 AM

Thanks for weighing in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, never see that here so this is how I would approach it:

1-How is the audio drive formatted? It needs to be NTFS and BASIC(if you have been recording to this drive, then these settings are probably correct already).
It's NTFS: I've been recording to this drive for a few years now without any issues.

Quote:
2-Is Drive Indexing enabled on that drive? If so, disable it and test.
No: I never enable for indexing.

Quote:
3-Is the drive set for Record (in the Workspace window>Permissions, you should see an R. If you see a T, try to change that to R.
It is "R." But that's where it gets weird.

When I view the folder that contains all of my current projects in the Workspace window, 19 out of 24 aren't even shown. But I can work on any of those without any issues.

(When I searched this topic there was only one post and you were the only respondent: You said you'd never seen it.)

I scoured the PT Ref Guide and found nothing about lock icons at all.
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 case * Core i5-12600K * Gigabyte Z690 UD AX * 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 * 2X HP DreamColor Z24x G2 displays * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 * Samsung 980 boot drive * Samsung 870 EVO PT projects drive * Samsung 860 EVO PT archive drive * Novation Impulse 49 MIDI * PreSonus Studio 26c interface * PreSonus Bluetube V2 preamp * PreSonus HP4 headphone amp * JBL LR 305 monitors * Sennheiser HD 650 headphones *

Old 09-10-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg27 View Post

When I view the folder that contains all of my current projects in the Workspace window, 19 out of 24 aren't even shown. But I can work on any of those without any issues.

(When I searched this topic there was only one post and you were the only respondent: You said you'd never seen it.)

I scoured the PT Ref Guide and found nothing about lock icons at all.
Are those projects(er...sessions) still on the drive and working?

Old 09-10-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Are those projects(er...sessions) still on the drive and working?
Yes. They all are. As I said earlier:

But I can work on any of those without any issues.

I'm in the midst of remixing 19 songs. None of those session folders are shown in the Workspace view.

(Sorry I used the wrong terminology: When I said "projects," I was referring to the root [session] folders that contains the subfolders for the Audio Files, Bounced Files, Rendered Files, Session Backups, plus the .ptx.)

This came up because I'm trying manage some rendered files that I no longer need. I did it incorrectly a couple of years ago and I believe it was you who rightfully corrected me.

Last edited by dg27; 09-10-2021 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2021, 02:07 PM

Okay, glad you haven't lost anything!!!! Can you describe what you are trying to do? The reason I ask is because I have been recording and mixing in PT for 16 years and have not had the need to open the workspace window in all that time. Just wondering if I have a work around option to offer

Old 09-10-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Okay, glad you haven't lost anything!!!! Can you describe what you are trying to do? The reason I ask is because I have been recording and mixing in PT for 16 years and have not had the need to open the workspace window in all that time. Just wondering if I have a work around option to offer
Thanks for your reply.

I never open it either.

I'm currently working on a session that went through several iterations. On my internal PT archive drive (not the audio drive) I have a folder with old [obsolete] rendered files for this session. I'd like to lose those since they total 8 GB. I do not need them.

In the current Rendered Files folder [in the session folder on the audio drive] I have the current rendered files. I'd like to move those to the archive drive to save space on the audio drive.

I've done this before without any issues. In the past when I opened the session after moving the rendered files, PT always found them easily.

I tried to do this yesterday and for some reason PT couldn't find them and didn't even seem to see that drive. I subsequently moved them back to the audio drive and everything is fine. But I would still like to get those off the audio drive, which is a 256 GB drive. (The archive drive is 1 TB.)