Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-30-2001, 05:43 AM

Default Track ball for digi-001?

Hello,

I have a situation where I do not have a desk surface in which to use a mouse. A track ball would probably be very useful. I would like some specific recommendations for a simple good reliable track ball that will not cause any conflicts with OS 9.2, PTLE 5.1, etc. I saw an old post where the names Kensington and Logitech were mentioned. Any specific recommendations though?

Also... I like to use the mouse as well when I am able to bring my rig to a desktop. Is there a way I can install a track ball and also keep my mouse system hooked up as well so that I can easily switch back and forth between the mouse and track ball?

THANKS! -imp
Old 09-30-2001, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Track ball for digi-001?

Kensington makes a very nice trackball with extra buttons that can be assigned to other functions. I haven't used any of the logitech ones though. The good news is that if you plug in two USB pointing devices ( ie, a mouse and a trackball ) they both work. Whichever one you're moving will be the active device.
Old 09-30-2001, 08:24 AM

Get this - it blows the others away.

You can plug your mouse into any avail. USB port and they'll both work at the same time.
Old 09-30-2001, 09:20 AM

can someone give me a example of what you have assigned to the extra buttons please?

I'd like to get one too, Is there a pre-set someone has developed on this fourm that seems to facilitate protools le really well? And if so is it something that can be emailed ?
Old 09-30-2001, 09:53 AM

Ok, here's my set-up for the Expert Mouse Pro.

Lower Left: Basic Click button

Lower Right: Start / Stop

Upper Right: Record

Upper Left: Toggles Auto Input Monitor

Both lower buttons together: Toggles between mix & edit windows

Scroll Button: Show / Hide Transport Window

Quick launch internet buttons: The DUC of course!
Old 09-30-2001, 01:36 PM

I use a serial kensington 4-button turbo mouse with a USB-only G4 through a serial-USB adapter. Works just like it used to, after a bit of tweaking. My setup is suited for post work, and in conjunction with Quickeys, I only use the keyboard for a few things. Here's my setup:

top left - select insertion tool
top right - select grabber tool
bottom left - click
bottom right - double click
top chord - select trimmer tool
bottom chord - fit to window/medium track view (the new ctrl E command)

You can also add more layers to each button by holding modifier keys (option, ctrl etc. while clicking different combinations)

I'll never use a regular mouse again. A 4-button mouse will increase your efficiency like you wouldn't believe (once you get used to the trackball)

AB
Old 09-30-2001, 09:25 PM

Kensington makes very fine trackballs. (I've owned 5 or 6 over the last decade or so.) However, because their trackball rolls on plastic or steel rollers to register movement, over time they to gunk up, corrode, or just generally wear out.

A few months ago I switched to the Microsoft Trackball Explorer (USB) and could not be happier. In addition to more precise movement, it uses an OPTICAL rather than mechanical mechanism to register movement.

As much as it pains me to recommend a Microsoft product, the Trackball Explorer is to me a superior piece of technology. I’ve got two, one on my G4 and one my WIN 2000 box – never needs cleaning – never sticks.
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=277294
Old 09-30-2001, 09:54 PM

I use a 3-button mouse with scroll wheel with the right hand and a USB gamepad (similar to the original Playstation's) with the left hand.
I didn't like the TurboMouse Pro...too jerky...not as precise and accurate as a mouse.
-george

Could this be the ultimate Pro Tools controller? http://www.allusb.com/products/P10471.html [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2001, 11:36 PM

I agree, the Microsoft trackball is nice, and coming from the straight mouse, adaptability was seamless.
Although, one thing to mention was my preference for the use of the thumb on this particular trackball(30$ cheaper than the Explorer model) but still optical.
So before you buy, check with your comfort level(fingers vs thumb).
Wow, I've been looking at that Kensington Expert trackball for quite sometime, and didn't think you could get that kind of functionality for PT with the buttons!
I'll take closer look.. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2001, 07:25 PM

I've been using Kensington trackballs for at least 6 years now and they rule!! Don't settle for less...

Jahmontee [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]