Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2011, 12:26 PM

Default TDM Virus Indigo to AAX

I've searched, and found no mention of this - will Virus Indigo be ported to AAX?

It's still my favorite soft synth...

Kent
Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Re: TDM Virus Indigo to AAX

Considering it hasn't been updated in a long time, I doubt they'll port it over.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM

This is the reason I got into TDM in the first place.
Come on Avid dudes, please don't let this oppurtunity slip by to be the best hardware multi DSP synth platform in the world.
Ableton 9
Avid Omni HD
Avid 8*8*8 HD X 2
D-Control ES 32 Channel
Native Instruments Maschine Studio
TC Electronic PowerCore *2
UAD-2
Universal Audio 1176 LN
Universal Audio 2-LA-2
Universal Audio 2-610
Neve DPX

Supermicro X10DAI Dual Xeon E5 v4 Win 10 64 128GB Ram
Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Unhappy Re: TDM Virus Indigo to AAX

Obviously this has not been confirmed by Avid, but if true, just when I was thinking of plonking down $1200 for two upgrades, along comes another reminder of why it's a bad idea for me in the short term. Only used this plugin in almost every session in recent memory. After all, who needs recall, that's what pen and paper are for!

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12.1.138 | Mac Studio M1 Max (64 GB) | Ventura 13.6.3 | Clarett+ 2Pre

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD6 PCIx | Mac Pro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Magma PE6R4-I | 192 i/o |

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD3 PCIe | MacPro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Apogee Rosetta 200 | C|24

Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 PM

3 plug-ins that need update

1-indigo virus

2-amp farm

3-soundreplacer

4-structure full

and im a happy camper

p.s. i suck at math
Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 PM

I could be mis-informed, but it's my understanding that the prime reason we are so blessed with the GREATEST ONE on tdm systems is because the tdm cards use a chip that is the same or a close relative of the chip driving the Access Virus hardware synths. Why else would you get the GREATEST ONE on tdm back in '98 or so on a platform so sworn against songwriters and programming?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 AM

Reminds me of when Nuverb was retired and keeping a system running just for Nuverb nubus card.

Maybe a new Virus polar variant (Red>Blue>White) or x-grade into (_________)?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 AM

What about TC Electronic TDM plugins...
I use the MD3 bundle all the time.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Kent, I can relate
Pro Tools Virus, what a teaser. I mean it makes you want it so Fxxxxx bad. Virus TDM thing is frustrating, doesn't even run optimally on Accel, and has proven to be extremely expensive and involved since its tied to Proprietary gear that serves a different purpose. My guess is they won't write new code to allow it to work on AAX, or if they do it will take too long.
TC electronics is DEAD, no more updates and you can only buy used PCI-E cards. And lots of bugs are reported.

But look on the bright side, NATIVE synths REALLY are a better way to go. They're very inexpensive, they have no pci-e bus latency (not that it's big) and they have NO attachment to proprietary gear. I mean just take another look at Native Instruments, I think you can replace the Virus for a fraction of the cost and HeadAche. Native synths really are getting better, That's where things are going. Massive/Razor/Reaktor Holy Sxxx they sound good. Huge samples that are challenging true analog synths. Am contantly comparing to my Prophet '08 and am sure that thing won't be king forever
Virus ain't even analog. Though it has its own unique sound, it's not unreplaceable in my opinion, its just dsp..

It might yield you better results to bitch to Access (I certainly have) to give us a new PCI-E option. Or just go with a tabletop and deal with the USB latency. Because Avid won't fix this one..
Old 12-13-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
But look on the bright side, NATIVE synths REALLY are a better way to go..... I mean just take another look at Native Instruments, I think you can replace the Virus for a fraction of the cost and HeadAche.
There's only one GREATEST ONE and nothing comes slightly close at doing what the Virus does and how it sounds. Although Native Instruments does make amazing sounding sample sets and powerful sampler, ALL of their synths are still excruciatingly hard, cold and sterile...the polar opposite of the GREATEST ONE. Besides being highly exceptional small companies, there's a reason why companies like Fractal Audio Axe-FX and Access Music are so vastly superior in almost every category…it's because you can't steal them, they're hardware. So Fractal and Access make more money and therefore can spend far more time in development creating superior products.

Arguably the reason that the GREATEST ONE is the so far ahead of most others like it is that it's so damn musical. The patches are created by such musical and creative people who have worked thousands of hours and it sounds like it. NI patches sound like they were created in 1/30 of the time by 1/3 as creative programmers and designers. NI synths might sound more musical if people didn't steal their software.

There are exceptions to the HW vs SW rule of thumb. Like Omnisphere and Trilian, the AIR collection sounds thick, warm and creamy, although the programming isn't quite as musical as Spectrasonic's. As a whole, samples sound far better than synths at the SW VI level. The samples in Toontracks, NI Scarbee, and many other collections are heavenly. There are a lot of vibes you can't get in VI synths yet that you can in hardware synths, but not visa-versa. Take the Korg Prophecy / Z1 thing. Nothing like it at all in VI yet. Omnisphere and a few others however, do stand alone.

So yes, if possible, please port Indigo Virus to AAX. It changed my life and will do others in the future.