Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-25-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Macbook vs. Imac

Is there any reason not to get an Imac over a Macbook? I'm looking on the website for Apple and it seems to get more bang for the buck.

Any kind of known problems associated with qualified Imacs? Any reason a Macbook is intrinsically better?

Also, why shouldn't I get a turnkey/optimized system through Sweetwater or Guitar Center, etc.?

Thanks.
D
Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Macbook vs. Imac

HI,

I have a MacBook and maybe some answers:

Equal:
Both are comparable in speed and the need for a second (external) HD.
Both with all kinds of suff to be hanging around external anyway, HD, dongles, Hubs etc.

Differences:
Portability:
The compact MacBook is hard to beat and allows you to work in small place everywhere.

SO, what bang you want for your Buck is higly dependent!

Some here use an iMac to move from GIG to GIG. This is fine, as long as you don´t mind
to drag a 13Kg and 30inch wide package (24" iMac) around with you.
Yes it is quite easy to move the iMac from place to place but to call it portability
is a joke.

Or imagine a 20" iMac on a train ride, with a 23kg car battery to keep it running for 2 hrs
and you _trying_ to play playing Doom 3, with the mouse and the external keyboard.

Graphics
The iMac has much better graphics than the MacBook but for music making, including screen
dragging and refreshment in PT, the MacBook is more than enough.
(PS: So, you can´t play Doom 3 very good here either)

Working
I have my MacBook carryied very often around with me, in an iSafer Shell it´s well protected.
the AC adapter is small enough to fit in the jacket pocket so the not so great battery life of
approx. 3hrs is extended. I am thinking about a second battery.
But I am still not convinced of trackpad instead of a mouse for permanent working.

Also, when the power goes down you won´t even recognize it with a MacBook.
iMac is 100% socket-dependent.

And why not pay for a turnkey system?

Why pay for something you have to do anyway? When you get an installed, partitioned System, you´re
stuck with and you don´t know from where to get what, when something goes wrong.
Guitar Center seems to have a very bad name here, considering their knowledge of computers and
software. You´ll have to learn the system anyway, so better do it from the start.
KNOW YOUR SYSTEM!

Or Would you say: Hey this is the toolbox I need for work everyday, would rearrange it for me so that I don´t know whats in it?

I find installing a system a very personal task to set it up as _I_ like.
and finally when it comes to computer security: trust nobody!
I am also very restrictive on what runs on computer and how.

so these are just my 2 cents dropped, and depending on your need yours may fall other ways.

regs
Old 02-25-2007, 03:20 PM

I just bought an iMac C2D and it's a brilliant machine, i can't recommend it enough. I really wanted to go down the Macbook route but in terms of audio it was just too restricting. Ports i found was the biggest problem, Mbox and iLok and theres no USB left for any other stuff, theres also the screen size. I will however be saving to purchase a Macbook for tracking in the future, however if i had a choice for either or, then it would defo be the iMac.

Cheers
Old 02-25-2007, 04:26 PM

I vote for the iMac, based upon screen size, processor speed, and hard drive possibilities. You can also get up to 3GB of RAM. For me, I thought portability was so important, but almost all of my writing/recording occurs at home anyway.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Also, why shouldn't I get a turnkey/optimized system through Sweetwater or Guitar Center, etc.?

Find the Digidesign dealer who services your area, and talk to them about a turnkey system. I have done that several times for HD systems, and I know my dealer also provides turnkey MBox systems as well.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Speaking of imacs, some local guy offered me a brand new sealed 24" imac 2.16 C2D with 2 GB for $1800 Canadian. Sound to good to be true? For those that have gone down the imac route instead of a MBP, do you have any regrets now? Is it a pain in the butt to lug around?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the fantastic advice - it really, really helps.

What of this USB Port problem? 2 ports? I actually don't understand, not being too MIDI/CPU savvy...

I have an Mbox and plan to plug in a MIDI (keyboard) instrument to use for drum sequencing as well as Moog Synthesis (software).

Is this going to be a problem somehow with the Macbook?

Excuse me if this is a sophomoric question - I really just don't know the schematics in this detailed way.

Thanks again:)

Dana