Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2021, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Pretty sure a detrimental bug was introduced from 2019.10 onward.

Well, I certainly didn't see any slowdown.
Could it perhaps have to do with the fact that I had the session on the internal flash drive? 2000/2500 mb/s.
Or perhaps that I have a 3 gb disk cache?
Old 05-17-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Well, I certainly didn't see any slowdown.
Could it perhaps have to do with the fact that I had the session on the internal flash drive? 2000/2500 mb/s.
Or perhaps that I have a 3 gb disk cache?
Doubt it. Both videos were shot running the session on internal SSDs. I've also experienced the bug running sessions off a Samsung X5.

As far as disk cache goes, I've tried increasing it on every value up to 28GB to no avail.

In fact, if you name a setting in Pro Tools that's alterable, chances are I've tried it. I did most of my troubleshooting a year or two ago when I first noticed the bug, but didn't write anything down.
I ultimately reverted back to 2019.6 so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore– but recently had to deal with some old .SDII files, and was hoping a new update would include a fix. No luck .
Old 01-28-2024, 06:02 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to bump this thread back up, as it has been 2.7 years since I started this discussion and this bug has still not been addressed or fixed by Avid.

I have been gleefully working in 2018.12 until this week when I decided to update to take advantage of Altiverb 8.
Much to my chagrin, the bug still exists in the newest version of Pro Tools that I can access with my perpetual license (2023.3), and I'm betting it still exists in the newest version.

Please read my posts in the thread for more details. Here's the important bit:
Quote:
Here are two screen recordings.

This first is on my main rig: Mac Mini (2018) - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
This is running a fresh install of 10.15.7 Catalina with almost nothing but Pro Tools 2021.3.1 installed.
I follow the instructions exactly as written in the session. You can see how Pro Tools handles at 01:10 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfTzfIZC114

The second is on my old laptop: MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
This one's running 10.12.6 Sierra, Pro Tools 2018.12.0, and is almost filled to the brim with files.
In this one, to be cheeky, I strip silenced at a much shorter duration which produced presumably thousands of extra clips. While it did take longer to get to step 3 (slower computer), check out how Pro Tools behaves at 02:04 into the video. Drastic difference!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7PQ0M39kM0
Old 01-29-2024, 04:24 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabored View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to bump this thread back up, as it has been 2.7 years since I started this discussion and this bug has still not been addressed or fixed by Avid.

I have been gleefully working in 2018.12 until this week when I decided to update to take advantage of Altiverb 8.
Much to my chagrin, the bug still exists in the newest version of Pro Tools that I can access with my perpetual license (2023.3), and I'm betting it still exists in the newest version.

Please read my posts in the thread for more details. Here's the important bit:
Hi! David here from the Avid community. Checking your account, it seems there's no case associated with this issue under it. Can I know your active Avid account email address so I can check? Please send me as message. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2024, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDGenerato View Post
Hi! David here from the Avid community. Checking your account, it seems there's no case associated with this issue under it. Can I know your active Avid account email address so I can check? Please send me as message. Thanks!
Sent!

Curiosity got the better of me and I've upgraded to Ventura 13.6.4/Pro Tools 2023.12.1— and I can confirm the bug persists.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:51 PM

for what it's worth... on 2023.12 I have seen this behavior several time. If I loop record too many takes things start to get unstable and slow.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:51 AM

I've noticed this as well in sessions with a large number of clips.
I think it might be related to the way PT displays/ stores clips in the clip window as a huge flat list of files.
Even the OSX Finder on modern machines will choke on scrolling a flat folder of thousands of files.
I've also noticed that if you search the clip window and show a reduced number of files then save the session. Opening that session again is much quicker as PT doesn't scan the whole clip list.
Possibly just introducing folders into the clip list as we've asked for for many years would solve this, as well as making clip organisation much easier?
Old 03-02-2024, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Possibly just introducing folders into the clip list as we've asked for for many years would solve this, as well as making clip organisation much easier?
Please for the love of God yes.

It would seem so easy to do (yes I know, the cry of the non-coder), but it would make a massive difference to all kinds of workflows. I've been totally ambivolent about folders in the project window, but pray daily to the Avid Gods for folders the clip list.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-04-2024, 09:38 AM

FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD, please make folders in the clip bin, AND multiple color selections beyond the few available now....or make the entire list have WAY MORE sortable selctions, like track, etc etc.......AND make the clip bin list a selectable search IN THE WORKSPACE.....for those of us with 3 to 4 thousand clips per show sometimes, itd be sooooo much easier to see waveforms of specific little pieces we're looking for .......otherwise sometimes its tedious staring at that little font in the narrow little window.....
Old 03-04-2024, 09:41 AM

or more specifically, allow us to select 'clip bin' in the workspace, thus populating the workspace with the clip bin , making it a quick way to find a tiny piece of waveform in a 2 minute file......sfx editors you know what i mean....