How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2000, 02:02 PM

Default DTS & Stick of Joy...

I asked it before and got no reply:
1. did someone on the board here ever put DTS-encoded 5.1 on a regular audio CD ? (take a look at http://www.dtsonline.com )
2. Are there any (Mac) encoders for this ? There's one from Minnetonka, but it's PC ( http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/SurCode_DTS_3.htm )
3. Is there a standalone joystick/control surface that can be used with pan-automation in PTLE ... or maybe with a Yamaha 01V ?

really looking for experiences here....

------------------
Arno Peeters
www.tapetv.nl

[This message has been edited by Arno Peeters (edited October 09, 2000).]
Old 10-09-2000, 03:48 PM

Default Re: DTS & Stick of Joy...

1. not me
2. not that I'm aware of
3. Kind of Loud sells a standalone joystick that controls it's surround panning plug. I'm not sure if it will work with PT5.1's surround panning.
Old 10-11-2000, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info fellow Dutchie ! (BTW: whazzup with your website ?)
I'll be mailing Kind of Loud and let you in on what I'll find out !

------------------
Arno Peeters
www.tapetv.nl
Old 10-12-2000, 01:32 AM

Wow, KOL was quick, so here it goes as promised:

(AP) 1. Is the fact that you should buy either or both SmartCode for DTS and Dolby merely the result of the licensing/competition ?
You'd expect customers to be able to make a choice for a dedicated format with every project....

(KOL)
Well, there are a few reasons to keep them separate. The licensing fees are substantial, which makes the products pricey. We felt it would be a disservice to force customers to purchase both should they need only one or the other.

(AP) 2. (from the datasheet) "...select the six Pro Tools tracks that comprise your SmartCode Pro/DTS-CD (included with the full DTS encoder)...",
Will this encoder be sold seperately ? Since Astarte's A-Pack has been sold to Apple, there's no way to do software-encoding outside other 'main'-applications (like PT/Sonic etc.).

(KOL)
SmartCode Pro/DTS-CD will be available separately for $495 US list price.

(AP) 3. Will you be releasing something for us creative low budget LE users ? (RTAS)

(KOL)
The price of the encoders is built around licensing fees, so we don't have a lot of room to wiggle. The good news is that these are Audio Suite products, which means they can run with PT LE/001 systems. Also, we split out the CD encoder to keep that as affordable as possible (see below)

(AP) 4. (off topic maybe Is there a standalone joystick/control surface that can be used with pan-automation in PTLE ... or maybe with a Yamaha 01V ?

(KOL)
The Gallery Axis Panner is a standalone model, it simply requires the Axis software (included). I don't believe it requires TDM. More info is available at http://www.gallery.co.uk

------------------
Arno Peeters
www.tapetv.nl
Old 10-13-2000, 01:08 AM

Hey Arno,

I'm almost sure that the Gallery Axis-panner (like the one we have) is usable on Yamaha digital mixing consoles (03D & O1V) as I have seen it working at another studio! The manual also states it can be used for those applications. Although Edit Pack look terribly nice and is a real 'wish-list'-item, Axis may be a great temporarily surround panner.

See ya!

Barnier www.imperium.nl