Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-21-2001, 09:05 AM

Default Digi 001 with DP3?

Hello there,
Anyone using Digi 001 as a front end for Digital Performer 3.0? Let me know how does this work.
Thanks,
Daniel
Old 09-21-2001, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Digi 001 with DP3?

I've only tried it, no it my studio, but a friend of mine uses it like you say, and it works very well. No problems at all, he has not yet found how to do Stereo Sends, but that's another problem.

All you have to do to connect i correctly is choose the Digidesign Direct I/O at the transport bar at that's all.
Old 09-21-2001, 04:57 PM

Thanks,
Although as you said it works fine (you're not the only one that says that), it looks like not a lot of people are using this combination of harware and software. Maybe DP and PT are becoming compiting programs so people don't want to mix'em.
Daniel
Old 09-23-2001, 01:51 PM

I just buy 1 week ago DP 3.0 and really, I cannot more Use PT LE, You have perfect surround 5.1 control, perfect midi control, SMPTE rulers, counter (how much you have to pay just to have that in PT? only machine control and TDM give you that) I regreat now not to buy a 828 firewire interface with sample precision for post production. For me there is no chalenge, I was hesitating for the art school where i teach, now I am sure I buy MOTU, less proprietary hardware and software…
Old 09-24-2001, 03:44 AM

I'm using DP3 with the Digi001 interface and have no problems. I use DP3 mostly for MIDI programming - with a MOTU MIDI interface, I'm getting rock solid midi timing which is excellent. They have a Midi Time Stamping (MTS) technology which eliminates timing problems you might get with other interfaces.

There are a few things I don't like about the DP3 interface. It certainly isn't as intuitive as PT which I prefer to use for audio editing and mixing. Unfortunately, I can get more audio tracks in DP which means that for more complex compositions I'm starting to find it difficult to port sessions between the two.

DP also support multi-processor machines which means that it offers much more native processing capabilities than LE. Unfortunately, I only have a single processor machine so I can't tell you how much of a benefit this is.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 09-24-2001, 05:40 AM

Isn't there a bad latency problem when recording audio in DP when using the 001? I have found this. If you have noticed this problem, how did you alleviate it?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-24-2001, 05:56 AM

No real latency problems. A few milliseconds if you use the Digi Direct I/O setting. I haven't tried to optimise buffer settings etc. but I tried recording a guitar using the software monitor and found it a little bit disconcerting.... a bit like the older guitar synths. In fact, not really that bad... just noticible.

Saying that, I've configured my system to allow direct monitoring from my mixing desk so I'm not affected by latency/monitoring issues. Whatever solution (DP/PT/Logic/Cubase), I'd always recommend this approach.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 09-24-2001, 08:05 AM

Are you using the Digi001's midi interface? Will it work (would it require DP to be in OMS mode?)
Old 09-24-2001, 09:39 AM

MikeC,

Well, this changes everything. So the latency is just in the listening back to it and not the actual recording? I ask this as I never bothered to record with the latency because it was too much off a pain. If that is the case, then that would be great.

let me know.

nz
Old 09-24-2001, 02:32 PM

I have to admit that I haven't tried using the Digi001 MIDI interface with DP3 yet. I use a MOTU midi express interface.

You only notice the latency when monitoring what you are recording (or about to record). After you have recording and during playback, everything (all audio and midi) replays in sync as you'd expect.

Does that help?

Cheers,

Mike