Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Default Mix sessions via skype?

Hey everyone. Currently working with some people out of the state with a mix and I'm just trying to figure out if there is a way to set up an output in pro tools to be seen as an input via skype or some other video chatting application.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Mix sessions via skype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
Hey everyone. Currently working with some people out of the state with a mix and I'm just trying to figure out if there is a way to set up an output in pro tools to be seen as an input via skype or some other video chatting application.
not that i know of. i just bounce the mix and setup a dropbox w them and drop the mix to them.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 PM

I see what you mean, you want them to be able to see what you are doing--
You could use third party software-business meeting stuff, that would allow them to log in and see your screens-
However, they would not hear the output...

You could probably make a lot of money if you could figure out a real time video chat software that would allow the person not in the studio to see your screens, AND, hear the output from the interface directly sent to their speakers etc... hmmmmmm.....
Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Here is how I do it for a pc. Route a secondary output (computer 1) from your main output (ie out put 3&4) to a second computer sound card, where your microphone is plugged in. Use the sound card software on the second computer to do adjust the volume of your mic and the mix from pro tools. Now send that back (from computer 2) to your first computer on some unused input. You need a controller/mixer for that, like the c|24 or a projectmix I/O, pretty sure any will do, might also work with some preamps combo like the liquid saffire 56, or other gear like that, but I haven't tried it with them to know. Now in skype (on computer 1), set the input for the microphone to the input of your controller/mixer, where you routed back the output of the second computer. Alternatively you could try having a pci/pcie sound card installed and working on the same computer your mixing and just do the same setup as if you had two computers, but there could be some drivers conflict and instability due to using a sound card and an audio interface at the same time. Best do it with two comp. A laptop could do if you have one.

so in a more concise way
1- computer 1 pro tools out 3-4 to
2- computer 2 stereo input + microphone on sound card in
3- computer 2 sound card software to mix mic and stereo input from
4- computer 2 send mix + mic back to computer 1 on unused controlle/mixer/preamps inputs in
5- computer 1 set microphone input in skype to the unused controler/mixer/preamps inputs. Don't assign those inputs in pro tools so you do not get the return of the signal in your own mix.. which would create a feedback loop. Skype will still see the inputs even if you don't use them in pro tools. On the other hand you can assign the return inputs to pro tools and mute the channel if you wish to monitor the level it's coming back at. Muting it will prevent it from looping, and skype will still see the signal even if it's muted in PT.

Now you'll be able to share your screen and they will be able to hear what you are doing from the out put 3-4, while your own monitors will be using out-puts 1-2. You just need to remember to set all your out-puts to both 1-2 and 3-4. On a pc you can do that by holding ctrl while you are clicking on the output drop down menu after you already set the first out-puts. So set out-puts 1-2 first, then hold down ctrl and press on the same channel out-put menu to set the 3-4. Your mix will be routed to both set's of out-puts.

On the macs, there used to be some apps that could highjack the sound internally and reroute it as you liked it, I have no clue if they still work with the latest os releases.

It's a good way to do remote mixing and expand your user base, but at the same time, if your clients don't have a good listening solution (ie good monitors and room) they might not get what you are doing in the mix. Also, skype does convert the audio to a lower quality that can get pretty thinned out if there's a lot of people on the skype network, so that might degrade even more the sound quality you will be sending to your clients, and the further away they are to you, the worst it can get.

But, it's still nifty

Wave-T.com
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 PM

I don't think it needs to be that complicated. I would just plug the spdif out of your pro tools interface into the spdif in on your computer. In Skype, select the spdif in as the audio input to Skype. Done.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I don't think it needs to be that complicated. I would just plug the spdif out of your pro tools interface into the spdif in on your computer. In Skype, select the spdif in as the audio input to Skype. Done.
Only thing is that if you disabled the onboard soundcard (which should have been done) and do not use a sound card on your computer at the same time as your audio gear, then using the spidif from your interface to the spdif in of your computer wont work.

Using a sound card + your audio gear on the same computer can be unstable, which is why usually you disable onboard and pci (e) sound card, if you're already routing your signal through an interface.

It looks more complicated on paper than it really is, it's actually a 3 minute set up if you have a second computer/laptop available. And it will ensure that you are not making your workstation unstable by having two sets of audio driver being used at the same time.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 AM

Isn't there going to be an issue with regards to what the client is monitoring the mix through? For example, where your studio might have pro-monitoring speakers and acoustic treatment your client might have poor desktop speakers in an un-treated room.

Does this not hinder the process?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caatalyst View Post
Isn't there going to be an issue with regards to what the client is monitoring the mix through? For example, where your studio might have pro-monitoring speakers and acoustic treatment your client might have poor desktop speakers in an un-treated room.

Does this not hinder the process?
Yes, that's what I was stating in the first post I made. The client might not get exactly what you are doing if they don't have a good listening environment. That's why when you use that method you need to get this fact through to the client. I always suggest to the clients to at least have a very good studio headset. This way at the very least we can take the room out of the equation somewhat.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 PM

tried today running the headphone out of my mbox into the line in of my macbook pro. I clicked the little button on the front to make it outputs 3/4 so that I could independently control the volume of what I'm hearing from what they'd be hearing. However the person on skype said it was playing back at the wrong speed and sounded like it had a pitch bend effect which to me is a sample rate thing.

So the session was at 48khz. I checked the audio settings and switched the line in from 44 to 48khz and it still didn't fix it. Any thoughts?

I tried setting up Soundflower and Skype didn't seem to read any of the audio from it. Also tried Jack and it doesn't seem to read Pro Tools.

Equipment used

13" 2010 MacBook Pro 10.6.8
MBox 2 Pro
Pro Tools 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Yes, that's what I was stating in the first post I made. The client might not get exactly what you are doing if they don't have a good listening environment. That's why when you use that method you need to get this fact through to the client. I always suggest to the clients to at least have a very good studio headset. This way at the very least we can take the room out of the equation somewhat.
I mean in the end even if I send them a mix they'd still be listening to it on the same thing they'd be hearing it via skype
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
tried today running the headphone out of my mbox into the line in of my macbook pro. I clicked the little button on the front to make it outputs 3/4 so that I could independently control the volume of what I'm hearing from what they'd be hearing. However the person on skype said it was playing back at the wrong speed and sounded like it had a pitch bend effect which to me is a sample rate thing.

So the session was at 48khz. I checked the audio settings and switched the line in from 44 to 48khz and it still didn't fix it. Any thoughts?

I tried setting up Soundflower and Skype didn't seem to read any of the audio from it. Also tried Jack and it doesn't seem to read Pro Tools.

Equipment used

13" 2010 MacBook Pro 10.6.8
MBox 2 Pro
Pro Tools 10

I mean in the end even if I send them a mix they'd still be listening to it on the same thing they'd be hearing it via skype
I'm wondering if skype changed their encription again and that the sampling they are doing to send over the network is now causing the trouble. I'll have to test on my end to see if this is true, I'll get back to you on that.

As for something on your end, are you using my method or an other method? If the later can you explain your steps, maybe we can find where it's getting skewed up that way.

Wave-T.com