Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-27-2000, 11:01 AM

Default Edit/mix group question

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to link the plug-in settings for edit groups OTHER than by using an aux channel? I get tired of manually adjusting each of 4 tracks of vocal eq or aux send settings. I'd rather just be able to "link" the settings somehow. Possible?

2. How do I get a fader to appear in the mix window but NOT in the edit window, i.e., for aux returns, master fader, etc.

I've RTFM twice now, but can't seem to find the answers. Do I need to read it a third time?

Thanks, oh seasoned veterans...

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-28-2000, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Edit/mix group question

Uh, I just realized how stupid my 2nd question is...ignore it, please (I found the embarassingly obvious answer in the first few pages of the manual).

However, if my brain isn't out to lunch again, I believe the 1st question is valid. Doesn't it make more sense to link the parameter controls somehow rather than create an aux channel?

------------------
LW

[This message has been edited by lwilliam (edited January 28, 2000).]

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-28-2000, 10:51 PM

Your question about being able to link plug-ins across multiple tracks is a feature that I have been wanting for quite some time. As you can guess, this feature is currently not available. Some people have requested that Pro Tools allow for stereo audio tracks so you can apply a single plug-in to the stereo track and control the Left and Right settings simultaneously. Linking plug-in parameters across several tracks would be great, especially with the advent of surround sound. I'm still waiting for this feature but haven't heard whether or not it will be implemented.
Old 01-29-2000, 02:31 AM

Copy & Paste works well, try that.....

also saving settings it in an easy to find 'whole project' root folder. (new one for me, handy for backup of crashing, 'reset to '0' plug aggrivation)

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-30-2000, 10:56 PM

The copy/paste method does work well for some things. However, if I'm trying to eq a stereo piano track I really need to hear the entire sound as I am adjusting the settings, not just the left or right channel and certainly not both channels at the same time while one eq setting is being changed. For this reason we need to be able to link plug-in settings so that when one is changed, the associated setting on the other changes with it. I am aware that I can bus the tracks to a stereo AUX channel and apply one stereo eq setting to that AUX channel, but for me this isn't a very good option. If I have a lot of stereo tracks that need this option then it takes too long and it also takes up too many TDM connections which in turn adds more TDM mixers which takes up too much DSP. Besides all of that, it's also very cluttered having all those AUX tracks. Linking would be much more convenient.

[This message has been edited by blairl (edited January 30, 2000).]