Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-04-2004, 12:40 PM

Default need someone to explain some things about plug ins

Could someone please explain to me the following plug ins and how and when they would be useful, it can be as brief or as long as you would like it to be, but i feel like i need to know what these things do, i'm stuck ina rut when it comes to the quality of my recordings and need to boost myself out of it. holy run on sentence, anyway here are the plug ins that i don't get, DeEsser, Gain(i somewhat understand it but not it's practical use), invert, duplicate, dc offset remover, gait, limiter, normalize, signal generator and time compression expansion. HELP ME!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Re: need someone to explain some things about plug

The DigiRack_Plug-Ins_Guide_6.4.pdf might start you in the right direction.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-04-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Re: need someone to explain some things about plug ins

Quote:
Could someone please explain to me the following plug ins and how and when they would be useful, it can be as brief or as long as you would like it to be, but i feel like i need to know what these things do, i'm stuck ina rut when it comes to the quality of my recordings and need to boost myself out of it. holy run on sentence, anyway here are the plug ins that i don't get, DeEsser, Gain(i somewhat understand it but not it's practical use), invert, duplicate, dc offset remover, gait, limiter, normalize, signal generator and time compression expansion. HELP ME!!!

Plug-ins are like sex. When they're good, they're very good and when they're bad, they're better than nothing.

DeEsser - Used on vocals to get that ess sound out. At a defined frequency the Desser cuts the high end out very fast (fast attack/release) - you can use automate an EQ to do the same thing but the Desser makes it easy.

Gain - Use this to raise the volume of part of a track where perhaps the guitar player started playing too soft and you need to boost the volume a few DB.

Invert - Two words: Phase Cancellation. Perhaps you have two mono tracks of a snare drum (one mic'd on the bottom of the snare, one on the top) and the bottom mic is out of phase, use this insert to invert the phase.

Duplicate - Use this to consolidate regions into one audio file.

DC Offset Remover- Is used to remove pops caused by external AD converters - have to say I've never used it

Gait - You mean Gate?

Normalize - Use this to level the volume of a track. Perhaps a vocalist sings too close to the mic a some points and the volume level needs to be adjusted for the entire section.

Signal Generator - Generates a tone for testing. Generate the same tone on two different tracks. Then use the invert plug-in to put one of the tracks 180 out of phase and listen to the tone

TCE - If you work on dance music, or work with loops then at some point you may need to compress/expand a loop to fit the timing of the song. This plug-in doesn't sound all that great I have to say. If you use Pitch-n-time or other 3 party plug-ins you tend to get a better result.

That's all I got... the rest can be found in the manuals and by experimenting!
Old 09-04-2004, 03:47 PM

Signal Generator is also great to use with a client that has not paid you, but wants a sample CD to "Take" with them. Just insert 1 second of BEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPP every 30 seconds and that will hopefully get them back to pay..

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 09-04-2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Signal Generator is also great to use with a client that has not paid you, but wants a sample CD to "Take" with them. Just inset a second on BEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPP every 30 seconds and that will hopefully get them back to pay..

- Doc
NIZE!