Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Default Plug-in noise issue questions using 2.8.5

I'm using 2.8.5 on a Profile and still having some noise issues that I ignored before because I assumed it was the 24 graphic EQ workaround bug (but didn't know at the time that bug was resolved in 2.8.5).

After loading a show file, either no audio passes or there is low level noise on my outputs. So far it has come back to normal with (I think) a plug in rack reset (started to run digitest, then stopped). Problem has been worse lately, perhaps because I'm running more plugs (though there is still a whole DSP card available).

Anyone know how to reinitialize the whole plug-in rack? In the manual there is a dialog mentioned after a console failure, but I didn't see how to make that happen when no failure has been noted. I'm guessing the best way is to hold "Alt" while hitting the "shut down" button to initialize a reset...

On at least one occasion, manually reinitializing (by hitting the big rectangular button twice) a Waves Q10 parametric EQ on my outputs worked to restore signal flow. Hitting the bypass button DID NOT work.

I previously noticed noise when instantiating a McDSP EQ, quite some time ago (I assumed it was the 24 graphic EQ bug), so I gave up on that one.

I frequently notice thumps when I hit the bypass buttons on plugins; is that normal? I like to occasionally add an effect right in the input channel... should it be silent to insert there while no signal is present?

In case there are known compatibility issues, I am using the following plugs:
Waves Gold Bundle (PS22, C1, C4, Hdelay, Hcomp, Q10 EQ);
SPL Trainsient Deigner;
Serato Dynamics;
typical console plugs like Smack, delay, Revibe, lofi, oscilator.

So far it has always come back eventually, but it is a bit unnerving when I bring the house BGM down while switching out of the opener file (always an awkward few minutes anyhow), then I get noise or silence and reset it, hoping it will come to life...

I will run a full digitest tomorrow. I have also been told perhaps RAM is loose or needs to be cleaned.

Any advice?
thanks,
denny
Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Plug-in noise issue questions using 2.8.5

Are you using the Real Tape Delay plugin, and if so have you updated it to the latest version? That was giving me noise and stability issues for a while on my SC48.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Nope, not Real Tape Delay.

I am using McDSP MC2000 and Analog Channel as well as Waves L1 that I didn't mention previously.
thanks,
denny
Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Avid

Denny,

Let us know what DigiTest reports tomorrow. If it's not a bad DSP chip then we'll need to do some troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Rich

VENUE Support Hotline: 650.731.6111
Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 AM

Rich,
If it IS a bad DSP chip, what do I do? When I test it I won't have net access...

Do I have to physically remove the chip then restart the system so that DSP demands are rerouted to the working chips?

I am in Paris, with US mobile phones, so calling tech support could be expensive...

Thanks,
Denny
Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Digitest was all good today. And everything worked on both file loads (headliner for sc, then support). We'll see if it works on headliner file during changeover;^).

Also, FYI, I am running a Madi card, for recording and virtual soundcheck purporses. Only one stage rack. Thanks in advance for anyone who has ideas on what is likely happening, and how to avoid snags in the field.
Cheers,
Denny
Old 11-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Avid

Hi Denny,

Sorry to hear about these problems. It's not clear from the posts above if you're still using 24 GEQs, or are using fewer GEQs. Can you confirm that for us?

Sheldon
Old 11-14-2010, 05:39 AM

Hi Sheldon. I'm currently set for 8 EQs. Not actually using any of them for me, but the opener is, so I kept it on the same structure in case that helps reloading the console file between bands.

Had an exciting time yesterday, everything seemed to be working fine, did the kick line check in the house, then all other instruments in the headphones. Band started... no guitars.... the Waves EQ I had in the guitars subgroup was not passing audio (I figured out later). Routed them to the stereo bus and carried on... luckily the band has a sense of humor that the computer must have wanted to hear a bass solo.

Today I may try clearing the console and or reloading plug ins. Most of the plugs were loaded for me by Clair... don't know if my version will be any better or worse.

But it seems most problems can be isolated to Waves Q10 or Q4 EQ plug in.
Thanks,
Denny
Old 11-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Avid

Hi Denny,

Try switching all show files to use 24 GEQs, and see if the problem goes away.

Also, contact the support team (venuesupport(at)avid.com) and send them a copy of the show files so they can try to reproduce the issue.

Sheldon
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 AM

I've had at least a dozen file loads without issues since changing to 24 graphic EQ mode.

Previously I sent my show files to Digi tech support where they confirmed they could reproduce the problems using the Waves EQs on Matrix and groups.

Now my only complaint (since I don't need any graphic EQs), is about DSP usage. It seems I have nearly a whole unused card, but when I try to install new plugs to try, I'm told there is a shortage of DSP (I can't remember the wording, it may have said TDM chips...).