Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-22-2009, 08:50 PM

Default New iMacs running Pro Tools yet?

Anyone got one of the new iMacs running ProTools Snow Leopard pre-release yet?

Success? Failures? Bugs? other?

Looking to buy the 27" and MBOX 2 Mini

I'm replacing a G5 tower and original MBOX
2X - 1T External HD with Mercury Elite Pro Enclosure
MBox 3 Mini
ProTools Express 10.3.3

The Final Lap
http://thefinallap.com
Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 PM

Default Re: New iMacs running ProTools yet?

i haven;t seen one yet but it looks nice for price for an all in one. you can get a mac pro for close to the same price without a monitor but i went with the mac pro and used my 42lcd tv as a screen and bought a cheap vga to hdmi. i see a few minor set backs to it. one being there is only one firewire port that an 800 so you'd need to get an 800 to 400 firewire adapter or if it runs usb i guess you're fine, also that makes it hard to have multiple hard drives as you can't put one in and the firewire port might be in use but i think the mini runs usb. don't know if a firewire hub would work or not and theres also lack of pci to upgrade to a firewire pci for more ports. also i don't think snow leopard and protools is completly compatible yet and you might run into some errors. but mac supports logic fine with digi hardware if your using that, but i think it should be fine for the most part.

just keep in mind the lack of pci, lack of more hard drives and finding a work around and only having one firewire port. if you have a decent monitor already if i was you i would just find a mac pro quad cor for 200 more on pricewatch or one those places that has them cheaper and sells bulk. you'd probably fair better with flexible upgrades in the long run. just my opinion but the new imac does look pretty sweet.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM

thanks djkiller for plenty to think about.

As far as the single firewire 800 port, you can daisy-chain many drives so it's not limited to just one external drive. Why would I need an 800->400 adapter? Might as well use an fw800 drive? I mainly use sessions of only 8 tracks and no plug-ins, so it's not too intensive.

A tip for you, I noticed you mentioned a vga to hdmi connector, you should get a DVI to HDMI connector to keep it all digital. You'll probably get a higher resolution out of your 42"
MBox 3 Mini
ProTools Express 10.3.3

The Final Lap
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM

my bad no it is dvi to hdmi with gold plates. so it's ran in 1080p.i love it becasue even though i don't have a blue ray player, the quad core are pretty powerful and can run 1080p mkv files via torrent or back ups and use plex movie viewer and it looks amazing :) big files though like 8gb-14gb. you could actually do the same on the imac at pretty high resolution if you don't have an hd tv as i think the mac monitors go past 1080p. that's actually a nice benifit to having the new imac quad with the nice lcd if you don't have a bluray or a hd tv with 1080p. :)

oh and also read up on the thread like a few down titled imac vs mac pro... there's talk going on there about the pros and cons and will probably be going on for a while.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 PM

Also too, I think it'll be more pertinent a question to ask once they're actually available...jus sayin

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 PM

true that what the guy said above me... i don't think they have even shipped yet. might want to wait for the reviews to come in and the protools boards to light up about it. better someone else find out if it's a good investment or not than you and be stuck wishing you made another choice. man i wish i had some money right now for some new mic pres or an adc two channel option on my digi002. but i bought 4gb of ram more, a pair of mackie mr8s, 380 to ix and refurbish my digi002 and bought a new mic and stand in the last six months. so i'm tapped. probably take $130 and get myself a pair of audio technica studio monitor headphones the m50's for those late night sessions. but i put in an order at my work for some new headphones and they are buying what i recommend on a school budget so i was going to wait till i get my free work pair and see which ones i like best :)
Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 AM

I don't believe that you can use 800 drives with Protools (at least at the 800 speed). If they have a 400 connection you can use that. Also, if you plan on getting any of the digi interfaces that are firewire at some point, it is recommended to have that on a separate firewire port than the hard drives.

If you get one and it works for you, please let us know. The new 27" looks incredible!

God bless!

Reb
Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 PM

I was about to post this very question... The same worries as others have posted - biggest being only one FW Port and no expandability... It would be so cool if Apple'd add an expresscard 34 slot (since iMacs are really the guts of a lappy built as an all-in-one...)? Then we could add FW400 cards or the UAD lappy DSP card... With the new quad cores shipping in Nov. and the option of up to 16 Gbs (and able to be wall mounted for the 27"), the addition of an EC34 slot would make this a no brainer for me as an update to my G5...

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 10-23-2009, 03:55 PM

Okay here's the deal with the hang up on 1 firewire port.

First visit this page regarding Digidesigns requirements.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=36933

Next visit wikipedia and discover that you can connect 63 devices daisy chained off a single port. (probably don't want to do that many, but it's possible)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewir..._1394b-2002.29
MBox 3 Mini
ProTools Express 10.3.3

The Final Lap
Old 10-25-2009, 06:43 AM

I am currently running PT on an iMac. Daisy chaining an HD to the mbox2 pro using a FW 800 to 400 adapter has worked fine so far.