Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2009, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

You expect the guy to respond? Most of you guys are acting like a group of 12-year-olds ganging up on the unpopular kid. I am sure it makes most of you feel warm inside while you stare at your screen... whatever, it is a nice way to turn a potentially useful dialogue into mush. Nice job.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
You expect the guy to respond? Most of you guys are acting like a group of 12-year-olds ganging up on the unpopular kid.
Most of the posts just seem to be people telling Digidesign what they can do to get our money... doesn't seem too bad to me!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 AM

Page 8 is out-of-hand.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Smile Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

Remember people that nobody has to buy anything they don't like...

If you don't like Protools LE...don't buy it.
If you don't like Protools HD...don't buy it.
If you think the upgrade special is too much...don't buy it.

I think it is okay to let Digi know your desires...they want to know. But I personally don't think that it is okay to bash them...nor is there reason to.

When I purchased my Protools system, I researched it and bought it. I got exactly what was advertised to work with it...no more or less. As time has gone by, yes I have hoped that updates would happen...and they have...just not everything that people wanted.

ADC is a big sore point to people. I'm positive that it will eventually happen and that they are working on it, but in the mean time be constructive and make music. Nobody has to rant and rave and belittle to get digi to chance strategies or tactics for the better. Sales and constructive dialog will dictate that. And I think people forget some of the very important and huge updates that they have done already. Protools 8 is an incredible leap from 7. Yes I would like ADC as well...I think it will come. But in the meantime, I just work around it by slipping tracks and making notes for the track so that I can make music. I love the workflow of Protools and so won't be jumping ship...and it's rock solid. Thank you Digi for what you have given us and I look forward to each progressive update!

All I'm saying is to try to be nice about how you go about things. Treat others how you would want to be treated... I think that Digi works their butts off for us. They will never appear perfect to everyone. Every company has complaints. But I think that they make a great product. Personally, if I had the money, I would probably go for a trade-up to an HD2 system. I personally think it's a great deal. But others may not think it's a great deal and that's okay. We all have our own opinions. So instead of complaining about the deal that they are making...just don't get it if it's not for you?

I hope that you have a blessed day and enjoy making music.

Reb
Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
This forum is provided solely for private individuals, no commercial posts, and limited to industry related items of interest to Digidesign users.
In all the years of reading and contributing to the DUC, I do not think I can remember a Digidesign employee starting a thread outside of the “Announcement” area. And while the original post by Tony seemed innocuous enough (lets clear the air kind of thing) by the third post I think even the company crossed its own line.

Quote:
Hi ThatDigiGuy,

Thanks for the post. The motive behind the Raise Your Level campaign is to raise awareness of Pro Tools|HD's benefits and to make the system more accessible to our customers.

One of the main benefits is HD's dedicated processing that ensures peak performance no matter how much you are demanding of your host processor. Other benefits are is expandable, high quality I/O, ADC for hardware and software inserts, and expanded track counts.

Tony
Granted, one could see the post as being something “of interest to Digidesign users”, but part of me feels that with all the changes at Avid/Digidesign (and I know a lot of these people personally) that something is not quite right with the company today.

And that pains me, since I am a long time user, through many incarnations, starting with Nubus. Yes, the system is still one that is powerful in its own right, but after visiting AES this year and witnessing some amazing innovations on the controller side, I have to say that it’s not out of the question that I would be open to a new, more responsive platform.

I’m troubled.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
In all the years of reading and contributing to the DUC, I do not think I can remember a Digidesign employee starting a thread outside of the “Announcement” area. And while the original post by Tony seemed innocuous enough (lets clear the air kind of thing) by the third post I think even the company crossed its own line.

Granted, one could see the post as being something “of interest to Digidesign users”, but part of me feels that with all the changes at Avid/Digidesign (and I know a lot of these people personally) that something is not quite right with the company today.

And that pains me, since I am a long time user, through many incarnations, starting with Nubus. Yes, the system is still one that is powerful in its own right, but after visiting AES this year and witnessing some amazing innovations on the controller side, I have to say that it’s not out of the question that I would be open to a new, more responsive platform.

I’m troubled.

Here you go...

You're not happy, but you posted in a kind and thoughtful way. +1 to you! Can you explain why you think Tony crossed the line? I don't honestly know and just are curious to your thoughts with it. And yes...exciting and interesting things are definitely on the horizon. I think those things (competition) will push Digi to do much more...which is great for the consumer.

Blessings...!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb View Post
...Can you explain why you think Tony crossed the line? I don't honestly know and just are curious to your thoughts with it...
The DUC has several distinct sections to it - HD, Post, various forms of LE, etc.

From my understanding, each of these areas is provided by Digidesign (Avid) for user interaction and as a help resource. Digidesign employees by their own admission (certainly in the past) have gone to great lengths to explain that they cannot answer every question placed in these forums, but do occasionally drop by to help out with certain issues.

So I don't think that an employee of the company coming to the LE area and touting the strengths of an HD system is what we are here for, even if it appears as a good faith effort to explain a pricing policy. I think most people know the difference, and for those that don't, a simple question will certainly receive many replies from the usual forum participants.

To my mind, Avid certainly did not do a great job in responding to the encroachment of native systems when they were still only a video company. I know that for some, Avid systems are still the desirable platform for bigger projects, as video is more processor demanding when compared to audio. But FCP is not going away and is here to stay.

Similarly, Digidesigns approach to native audio has been to some extent stifled by its need to protect its more expensive "external hardware" solution and the inherent complications of TDM and its real-time audio underpinning. On the plus side, I do think that Digidesign's insistence on stability, and the consequent "long time to release" is most probably their strongest asset at the moment.

Again, let me say that I am still a user of an expanded LE system and continue to find the platform sufficient for my various needs, those being audio production and sound for film/video.

But something does not sit right with me, partly from this episode and my discussions with present and past Digidesign employees. It is more of a gut feeling than anything specific, and make of that what you will.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:04 PM

What happened to the OP ?????? Hello..... Hello .... Any One There ????
Can you here me now ??????? are you on Verizon ?????????
Hello Avid ??? Digi ??????? anyone ?????????????????????

Well Well Peers as if Avid/Digi is offline ooooorrrrr maybe the OP was actually just a shill from Logic, Cutbase, or Other ?????????

OK , so I was just about to pull the trigger on the HD trade up butttttttt, The SILENCE IS NOW DEAFENING to bad to cause I really love PT Butttttttttttttttttttttt now Who THE Hell Knows ?

IF Indeed Avid/Digi is even reading and listening or really even gives a a Flying Flip . YOU have ( within this thread) been given the Keys to the Kingdom,,,, BUT ...... What will you do ????????????????????????? Me thinks it time TO CUT BAIT, or SWIM
#1 best suggestion so far IMO
Make an (in between) unit, price and performance wise and get on it now. (six months ago) With ADC, TDM, etc... With and without everything like (console and rack) 8 good faders..... with/without real pres,..... w/wo clocking,...... in other words Modular, and selectable... Native and or good 8 channel DSP i/o . System price ?????....$ 3k stripped to maybe $ 6k loaded . Right now that is what the other companies are basically offering in their better native units.. Dont do it and Hellooooooooooooooo GM

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM

wow, this thread has turned into a monster lol. i'm surprised digi hasn't planted some spin or had fake members come in here to try to turn it around and say good things. the marketing world is really thought out and through research you have to know something like this was going to happen and as another guy said they never post in these forums outside announcments. so something feels off here. guys i say just keep what you have now and don't do any upgrades. wait till the namm and the end of the year and then make up your mind to stay or jump ship.

it's evident the trade up is not a popular investment and most people won't go for it so end of story. some of us don't have the money and will work with what we have now and will save and wait another year to see what happens. i think the best thing would to have a trade in for a new middle ground product like the competitors, i would go for something like that. like wow spend 3,000 on a competitor or i can trade in my current system and get the new middle ground product for a discount price. now given it competes with competitors pricing with evertything else hardware wise and is new and fresh that is the trade in i'm looking for! otherwise eventually when i get the money sell my le system and match it to a competitor and buy that and just go with logic for good. however i'd rather have the choice to go both as i'm sure many would. i'm happy with my le system now but with my faster mac i am rather anxious to take advantage of the new tech everyone is offering. i think i'll work with what i have and sit on it and make a decision when i see what direction digi is going to go and if they offer us something worth the money... but what sucks about that is our gear will go down even more on the market if there is no trade in with and when a new product midlle ground product is released

so maybe selling now would make more since...who knows. only thing we all know is this trade in isn't working. peace
Old 10-23-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiller View Post
wow, this thread has turned into a monster lol. i'm surprised digi hasn't planted some spin or had fake members come in here to try to turn it around and say good things. the marketing world is really thought out and through research you have to know something like this was going to happen and as another guy said they never post in these forums outside announcments. so something feels off here. guys i say just keep what you have now and don't do any upgrades. wait till the namm and the end of the year and then make up your mind to stay or jump ship.

it's evident the trade up is not a popular investment and most people won't go for it so end of story. some of us don't have the money and will work with what we have now and will save and wait another year to see what happens. i think the best thing would to have a trade in for a new middle ground product like the competitors, i would go for something like that. like wow spend 3,000 on a competitor or i can trade in my current system and get the new middle ground product for a discount price. now given it competes with competitors pricing with evertything else hardware wise and is new and fresh that is the trade in i'm looking for! otherwise eventually when i get the money sell my le system and match it to a competitor and buy that and just go with logic for good. however i'd rather have the choice to go both as i'm sure many would. i'm happy with my le system now but with my faster mac i am rather anxious to take advantage of the new tech everyone is offering. i think i'll work with what i have and sit on it and make a decision when i see what direction digi is going to go and if they offer us something worth the money... but what sucks about that is our gear will go down even more on the market if there is no trade in with and when a new product midlle ground product is released

so maybe selling now would make more since...who knows. only thing we all know is this trade in isn't working. peace
Everyone here should buy a large SUV, gas prices are going down. What a direct correlation between the two huh......