Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-21-2022, 08:22 PM

Default Extra metronome pings

I normally have not been using the metronome within Pro Tools because I either have midi files I import that maintain my tempo or I am doing video narration and do not need the metronome.

I started a new session to record a saxophone and needed a metronome to keep the beat. Once I got the time signature, tempo, and beat all set up, I gave it a try.

Then I remember one of the reasons I have not used the metronome in the past. There are extra click happening that do not line up with my meter for the song. This is before even adding a click track. I cannot find any way to control this ping other than turning the metronome off or on. There is nothing in the mixing board that will let me alter the volume as it isn't part of any track.

I have talked with a couple friends who are Pro Tools users and they had no clue as to what was going on. I have started over several times with new sessions and it always happens.

It isn't very loud but it is audible. It seems to be on the off beat and will be very distracting when it comes time to record. I have looked through every setting I could find about the metronome and nothing helped. I have scoured through numerous posts and videos about the metronome in Pro Tools and have found nothing that helps.

Last edited by ArthurSchwieger; 04-18-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:45 PM

Default Extra metronome pings

I’ve never noticed anything g untoward with the click. Can you record what you’re hearing and link it here for us to hear?

As an option, making your own click on the grid is very easy to do.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-23-2022, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Extra metronome pings

I hope you can get at this. I have tried to record what it is doing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9v6fups2f..._0092.mp3?dl=0

I started with a fresh session and hit play with the metronome on. Then I added a click track and you can hear now this extra ping is on the off beat and very soft. It is not registering in the mixing board so I can't even turn it up or down. The click track is there and I have full control of that. The only way to get this ping noise to stop is to turn off the metronome. But then I can't hear my click track.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:38 PM

I put something up on DropBox and linked it to a comment but it seems it didn't get through the moderator. :-(

Let's try this again.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:36 AM

I have tried twice to include a link to an example of this and they seem to not get past moderation.

I was able to get this in by just editing my quick response.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:59 PM

And if you change your tempo from 120, say to 50 (trying to make it not a direct divisible of 120), does that noise follow to be an offbeat or does it stay at where it is?

Also, what is your hardware (audio interface, etc.)? Since this isn't showing up in Pro Tools Mix page, my guess is it is coming from somewhere else entirely. Like do you have a synth that listens to MIDI beat clock?
Old 04-04-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Like do you have a synth that listens to MIDI beat clock?
Yeah, or the Windows MIDI engine is being routed to.

Open the MIDI devices in Pro Tools and disable them one by one until the problem goes away.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 04-13-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
And if you change your tempo from 120, say to 50 (trying to make it not a direct divisible of 120), does that noise follow to be an offbeat or does it stay at where it is?

Also, what is your hardware (audio interface, etc.)? Since this isn't showing up in Pro Tools Mix page, my guess is it is coming from somewhere else entirely. Like do you have a synth that listens to MIDI beat clock?

My tempo is set to 63 and it does it. I changed it to 50 and it still does it. I do not have any synth connected. It stops and starts when I turn on or off the metronome.

Computer: Lenovo-ThinkCenter
CPU: i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory: 16.0 GB RAM
Interface: Focusrite 8i6
Pro Tools 2019.6.0
Old 04-13-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Yeah, or the Windows MIDI engine is being routed to.

Open the MIDI devices in Pro Tools and disable them one by one until the problem goes away.

I don't see any MIDI devices configured. Where would I find that?
Old 04-14-2022, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurSchwieger View Post
I don't see any MIDI devices configured. Where would I find that?
Look in Setup>Midi>Midi Beat Clock and see if you are routed to any of the Microsoft instruments.

Also make sure you don't have any Midi tracks routing to the Microsoft Instruments.

Another thing to do is to make sure your laptop is not using your audio interface for windows sounds. Put the laptop back on the internal audio ports and leave the audio interface strictly for Pro Tools.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (10.6 KB, 0 views)