Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-18-2021, 03:20 AM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
The cards won't be eaten by the mixer anymore, the mixer will run native. Only the signal paths selected for dsp will have the mixer on dsp, or so it seems. This way the HDX card will only be used for actual dsp and the rest will run native. The HDX1 systems will become waaaayyyy more useful in post as they will turn into (be it expensive) digilink dongles and maybe run that few dsp plugins still in use. Your computer just needs to be fast enough to be able to run the mixer native.

We upgraded all our rigs to HDX2 a long time ago just to overcome the voice limitation. We have to set all our dsp plugins to native because both HDX cards are fully filled with 'mixer' so we don't actually use dsp. Our preferred plugins are native only anyway. With the hybrid engine we can shift around cards a bit if needed.

I don't know yet if our old cheesegrater mac pro's can run the same sessions fully native. We might have to stick to the old ways for now. The hybrid engine for me feels a bit 'too little too late' (as we already invested into HDX2). By the time we move on to new macs they will be fast enough to run fully native and there will be no need for HDX cards anymore. But for current HDX1 users this will be huge and much needed.
Yes that would be a huge step for theatres. Hardly anyone needs HDX cards in post unless you record ADR or need to feed an RMU with 128outs.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:43 AM

This is very exciting!
I might have to re think my rig now.
HDN works great for me in film post and will be even better with the extra voices, but having that option of a low latency record path when needed for VO ADR Foley etc is tempting.
I don't think you can get the same low recording latency as HDX on a native system even with a new mac can you? I've always found the low latency options for Native clunky at best.
This seems like a bit of a game changer.
The only thing that puts me off is the HDX card is such old technology.
But I guess if it works, it works and that's that, we'll soon see how seamless the integration is. As Frank says there could still be issues we don't know about yet, but on paper it sounds brilliant!!
Old 05-19-2021, 10:28 AM

I am an HDX 1 post user and from the past months, after upgrading to a Mac Pro 2019 12 core, I was really thinking to add another HDX card for Atmos mixing and voice limitations or buy a 24 or 28 core CPU upgrade and go full native. The downs were huge either way.
It was the latency when recording, the digilink and my HD SYNC with tri level sync that I was willing to let go for more voices ? Or I had to buy a HDN card to go that route?
I have a waves digigrid system around the studio that connects to my HDX also, so the question was if going native was the route to go and the answer came right of this days with the announcement of the hybrid engine with the 2048 limit voice.
and now I think the answer is right in front: the best of both world is coming !!! So now will see if the CPU upgrade will pay of.

Btw, voice pack users will have a refund or something that Avid stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2021, 02:32 PM

As it’s software, HDX-upgrade for Hybrid.
Are dual Core Audio-drivers related or only Avid Carbon?
Old 05-28-2021, 10:36 AM

Wonder what kind of requirements for the computer and OS this may need..
Old 06-03-2021, 06:53 PM

A little birdie told me hybrid engine will be free for everybody on a current update plan
Old 06-08-2021, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
This is very exciting!
I might have to re think my rig now.
HDN works great for me in film post and will be even better with the extra voices, but having that option of a low latency record path when needed for VO ADR Foley etc is tempting.
Are you sure the upcoming 2048 tracks (voices?) are also eligible for HD Native?
Or is it a HDX only track count..?
Old 06-08-2021, 04:47 AM

I can't remember where I read it, it could have been Pro Tools Expert, but I'm 99% sure the 2048 voice increase is across all PT Ultimate versions.

Maybe someone can confirm?
Old 06-08-2021, 07:35 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I can't remember where I read it, it could have been Pro Tools Expert, but I'm 99% sure the 2048 voice increase is across all PT Ultimate versions.

Maybe someone can confirm?
The next Pro Tools release will enable 2048 voices at all sample rates with Pro Tools Ultimate. This increase applies to all system types except for HDX Classic [i.e Hybrid Engine disabled] since that mode uses the hardware itself for voice count.

You can find more info here:
HDX Hybrid Engine FAQ
HDX Hybrid Engine Blog Post

We're excited for you all to use it!
Berkeley, CA
Old 06-08-2021, 11:39 AM

Thanks for confirming Kyle.
I for one, am excited to try it!
Sounds like a very powerful update.