Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-24-2007, 07:11 AM

Default External Drive with PT LE 7.3.1

Looking to use an external drive with PT. But also trying to consider space, peripherals and an extra power supply (mobile unit, but have a "base" station in studio). The unit below also works with my current docking station. But how does it work with PT? In addition, if dedicating this, or any other external drive strictly for PT, should just the sessions be stored on it, or would it need to be installed on that drive as well?

HP 3-in-1 NAS Docking Station

Designed for mobile professionals that demand desktop-like ergonomics and expandability from their notebook while in the office, the HP 3-in-1 NAS Docking Station provides the right balance of key features including port replication, cable management, and security. It features six USB ports as well as MultiBay II and ExpressCard slots for future expansion.

The HP 3-in-1 NAS Docking Station features an integrated 160GB 7200rpm SATA hard drive that is accessible as a network drive via a Broadcom BCM4781 NASoC chip for secure and reliable data backup and recovery. HP's Backup and Recovery Manager software (included) allows for convenient automatic or manual system backup to prevent data loss and reduce potential downtime.

The HP 3-in-1 NAS Docking Station is an easy-to-manage file sharing solution that allows an administrator to set up and manage access to the network drive via an embedded NAS Configuration Utility. The administrator is able to subdivide the disk space into "pools" for individual users and can control access to the drive or secure pools by creating encryption passwords. Authorized users can then save and retrieve data from anywhere with network access.

Connect a USB printer to one of the two network USB ports on the HP 3-in-1 NAS Docking Station and use the docking station as a network print server. Connect an external hard drive to the other network USB port and use it as a "legacy drive" in Windows or add the hard drive capacity to the 160-GB docking station network drive for more shared disk space.

Key Benefits

* Easy docking system provides port replication and cable management, plus expandability through an integrated MultiBay II expansion bay and ExpressCard slot - all in one product
* Six USB ports allow you to connect more peripherals to make you more productive
* Optional integrated HP/Kensington Cable Lock allows you to secure your docking station, notebook and integrated MultiBay II drive with one lock
* Integrated high-capacity 160-GB SATA Hard Drive offers superior reliability and performance
* Broadcom BCM4781 NASoC chip provides Network Attached Storage capabilities
* Includes HP Backup and Recovery Manager software for simple data recovery and backup

AC adapter included

* The HP 3-in-1 NAS Docking Station features an energy-efficient 180W AC adapter that guards against power fluctuations with integrated surge protection. The 180W AC adapter can be leveraged across all HP Business Notebooks and docking stations, providing a cost-effective solution for reducing power consumption and equipment costs.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Re: External Drive with PT LE 7.3.1

You may have to trailblaze on this one. You do not install PT on the external drive(install all software on your system drive). As for a network drive and protools, I believe it is untested so you will be on your own. DIGI recommends firewire drives with the Oxford chipset.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave