Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Hands up who requested a surround-capable Expander plugin from Avid??

No… me neither.

Of ALL the things you could have been doing with your time Avid, I would have thought the LAST thing on the priority list would be developing a new - wait for it - EXPANDER plugin! Are you kidding me??

Sheesh…. how about you spend your resources fixing the countless issues in the software we have all paid money for already rather than trying to extract more money out of people for useless plugins.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Hands up who requested a surround-capable Expander plugin from Avid??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyssl View Post
No… me neither.

Of ALL the things you could have been doing with your time Avid, I would have thought the LAST thing on the priority list would be developing a new - wait for it - EXPANDER plugin! Are you kidding me??

Sheesh…. how about you spend your resources fixing the countless issues in the software we have all paid money for already rather than trying to extract more money out of people for useless plugins.
It's a stereo expander as well. It was probably easy to Avid to make a surround expander from the stereo version.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Hands up who requested a surround-capable Expander plugin from Avid??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Since Avid has left the consumer market to focus more on the Film/Post/Broadcast world, it only makes sense the 3 new plug-ins work from mono to surround, including AAX DSP versions.
You're kind of missing the point… Music guys and post guys all use expanders. The point is out of all the things they *NEED* to fix / implement in Pro Tools, I would have probably thought the need for a 5.1 expander was way down the list.

But obviously I'm considered "consumer market" because I don't do Film work, so what would I know??
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 PM

There is a need for "Pro" level surround plugins that won't break the bank. An inexpensive True Peak Limiter is a welcome addition. Its a good thing that Avid is making quality AAX plugins.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Post View Post
There is a need for "Pro" level surround plugins that won't break the bank. An inexpensive True Peak Limiter is a welcome addition. Its a good thing that Avid is making quality AAX plugins.
+1 true peak DSP limiter is deeply needed.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Hands up who requested a surround-capable Expander plugin from Avid??

Nugen ISL .....

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Thumbs up Re: Hands up who requested a surround-capable Expander plugin from Avid??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
Nugen ISL .....
I don't disagree about the Nugen ISL. What we need are decent basic surround capable plugins as staples on every Pro Tools system. If there are 100,000 Pro Tools systems out there it doesn't guarantee any sort of interchange unless the plugins are the same. I would hope that in the future Avid doesn't charge for these tools but are part of the PT11 package.

Thumbs up to Avid for releasing these
Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
Nugen ISL .....
My rig is HDX. Is the nugen plug in have a DSP version?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 AM

The Nugen ISL is only AAX native right now, so the Pro Limiter has a leg up in that area.

EDIT: And it's a little cheaper.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
+1 true peak DSP limiter is deeply needed.
there you go:

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/plug_ins/elixir-v3