Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2009, 01:58 PM

Default So I bought the MBox 2 Mini with Pro Tools 8.

I have the Mbox 2 Mini usb interface with Pro Tools 8. The problem so far is that I own a Compaq Presario with XP and AMD Sempron. I even added more RAM for the Pro Tools. Then I find out that the Compaq isnt going to help me with the MBox especially with the Sempron. So now I need a new PC huh? My question is which PC should I buy? And after I buy the computer what else do I have to buy to make it work properly? Just to let you know I am only trying to record vocals and mix them down before sending them off to be mastered. And yes I have the mic, speakers, etc. It seems like the computer is giving me the problems now. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Default Re: So I bought the MBox 2 Mini with Pro Tools 8.

That's one of the age old questions. It seems there are soo many laptops out there, Digi has a hard time qualifying them all. Try reading the 'laptop compatibility' sticky posted above this section and see if it's any help. I'm using one that is not recommended and it's working fine, but for this reason wouldn't advertise it! But I'd exhaust all of the options on your setup first, you don't have Internet Explorer 8 installed do you? Are you writing to a separate audio hard drive? Give us a little more info!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 PM

Appreciate it man. I was hoping to find a desktop. I read the recommended desktops for the MBox 2 Mini.. Sorry but I'm new and know very little about building a home studio.. But say I buy the Dell Precision 690 (since it's recommended), is there anything else I'm gonna have to buy with it or should I be good to go?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM

You will ABSOLUTELY need a qualified external hard drive (Firewire, NOT USB). This is a must, and one of the most frequently overlooked problem-generators on here!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:06 PM

rqstudio.. I don't have an external hard drive. Didnt know I needed one haha. Like I said I don't know much about building a studio. But yeah I have the Compaq Presario with extra RAM to support Pro Tool LE, Windows XP Home, and AMD Sempron (which I thought the problem would be). I'm sorry let me inform you a little bit more.. I tried running the installation disc for Pro Tools and the setup box was blank.. No options. So Digidesign emailed me Pro Tools and I installed it with no problem. I thought the installation disc was just messed up. When I connected the MBox to the USB and it turned on. I ran Pro Tools and tried to import an audio file.. It just shut down with no error or warning. Happens everytime. So I figured my computer doesnt support it and I needed a new PC. Now I'm here trying to get some help lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:12 PM

You GOT some help. Buy a firewire drive. And I quote, right from the Digi support site:
Recording to boot drive not recommended or supported

And:
USB 2.0 Hard Drives
USB hard drives are NOT recommended or supported for use as recording drives. Limited testing has shown that performance with USB drives is inferior to that of FireWire drives.

While we're at it:
The Avid MediaDrive rS250, Avid MediaDrive rS80, and DigiDrive FireWire 80, and third-party 7200 rpm FireWire 400 drives with the Oxford 911 chipset have been qualified for record and playback with all Pro Tools LE systems

Finally:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=36860
Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 PM

sw rec appreciate the help. Now I need to figure out which laptop would be the cheapest while still supporting the MBox. Or if anyone recommends a specific laptop or desktop(prefered) please let me know. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 PM

Most welcome! Read that link at the bottom of my last post for some recommendations.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3 View Post
sw rec appreciate the help. Now I need to figure out which laptop would be the cheapest while still supporting the MBox. Or if anyone recommends a specific laptop or desktop(prefered) please let me know. Thanks!
I can advise that the lenovo's with the intel dual core's work fine and they are reasonably priced. I downgraded mine to XP Pro and now it works even better!! Check them out. I recently saw a Lenovo G530 with the XP Pro downgrade for $499. You could rock PT8 with that system.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3 View Post
When I connected the MBox to the USB and it turned on. I ran Pro Tools and tried to import an audio file.. It just shut down with no error or warning. Happens everytime. So I figured my computer doesnt support it and I needed a new PC. Now I'm here trying to get some help lol.
I had the EXACT same issue with my Gateway laptop (which coincidentaly at the time was running Media Center Edition). What fixed it for me is the CS update for 7.4 whatever. Do that first before you do anything about buying a new computer and you might save yourself a great deal of money. Register your product on digidesign's website and you should get access to the CS updates.

Edit: WOO helpfull first post.