Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 AM

Default BUG: automation doesn´t follow

Hi,

I´ve read this here before but couldn´t find the thread.

The other day this bug almost stopped our mix. I imported some tracks into a complex mix session and dragged the regions over to other tracks that had the identical plugin config.

When I dropped the clips PT gave me a "some parameters couldn´t be written" or something like that.

I checked all the automation playlists and they were all zeroed out. Nothing. Checked the imported tracks all automation there.

Checked if "automation follows edit" was on. It was. Tried cut/paste instead of drag/drop. Same result.

Then I realized that I had EQ3 as RTAS on the target track but TDM on the source track. So converted the source-track to RTAS and tried again. Same message, same result. No automation after copy.

Then a friend said that it´s known bug. The work-around is to move the EQ on the target-track to slot 2 and alt-drag the EQ from the source-track to the first slot of the target-track. Then do the copy-paste and then remove the plug from slot one of the target-track. This procedure worked.

My question is, if this is a common bug? It seems extremely scary to me. If I had all slot full on my target track I would have been screwed. The mix would have been stopped because there would have been no way to bring the automation over from one session into the other.

Has someone seen this?

thanks,

Frank.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: BUG: automation doesn´t follow

This never happened to me in 7.3.1.
Is it a new bug?

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Hi,

I´ve read this here before but couldn´t find the thread.

The other day this bug almost stopped our mix. I imported some tracks into a complex mix session and dragged the regions over to other tracks that had the identical plugin config.

When I dropped the clips PT gave me a "some parameters couldn´t be written" or something like that.

I checked all the automation playlists and they were all zeroed out. Nothing. Checked the imported tracks all automation there.

Checked if "automation follows edit" was on. It was. Tried cut/paste instead of drag/drop. Same result.

Then I realized that I had EQ3 as RTAS on the target track but TDM on the source track. So converted the source-track to RTAS and tried again. Same message, same result. No automation after copy.

Then a friend said that it´s known bug. The work-around is to move the EQ on the target-track to slot 2 and alt-drag the EQ from the source-track to the first slot of the target-track. Then do the copy-paste and then remove the plug from slot one of the target-track. This procedure worked.

My question is, if this is a common bug? It seems extremely scary to me. If I had all slot full on my target track I would have been screwed. The mix would have been stopped because there would have been no way to bring the automation over from one session into the other.

Has someone seen this?

thanks,

Frank.
Does "Copy Special/All Automation" work?
That way you could first copy the region and then "Copy Special/All Automation" and paste. I know: Only a workaround - but in case your inserts are all full, it would be a different workaround.

Tim
Old 07-22-2009, 01:43 AM

No. I forgot to mention that. Copy special and/or all automation did not work. Always resulted in the "could not be written" message.

(Yes, all parameters in those plugs where enabeled. And no, the plugs were not set to "safe")

I still have the session if someone wants to give it a go.

The only thing that worked was to copy the actual static setting of the plugin using apple-shift-c/v to the target track and write it to all parameters. Of course this was not a real option because the tracks contained eq-movements that would have been destroyed by this operation.

Frank.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:09 AM

I had this last week on an surround session.

I was not able to copy some regions from one track to another.

It was a simple waves Q2 Mono that was not copied.
And there was only one slot in use on both tracks.
I was wonderung because I always enable all parameters on all plugs so everything was the same on the tracks.

I had no time to do a research.
The session was up to it limits so I thought it was a memory thing.
This session also smashed several times the database folders.
I had no problems in other sessions

I am also on cs9

Ale
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 AM

Ale,

try my work-around next time. It should work.
However, I think Digi should investigate this because it´s a quite nasty bug that can cause lots of euros going dow the drain during a mix.

frank.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Avid

Frank, can you send me a session?

vi [at] digidesign [dot] com
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

Will do tomorrow when I´m back in the studio.

Frank.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:09 PM

I will look tomorrow into my session again and check franks workaround

Frank:

Are you sure when you copy without warnings all is copied?

I am 1000 percent sure that in some cases not all eq data was copied.
The eq was flat after region copied.
And there was no warning message!
(automation follows edit was on of course)

On this session I always checked automation data after dragging a region to another track.

Ale
Old 07-23-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

Hi Mr. TechSupt,

I have just sent you a demo-session that demonstrates the bug. I´ve also included a screen-capture of what heppens here, in case you can not reproduce.

It happens on both Intel and PPC machines over here. Tried on HD2 and HD3, both show the issue.

See the message from my Digidelivery-Server for more details.

Please post back about what you find.

Thank you!

Frank.