Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 06:00 PM

Default PC or Mac

Does pro tools run as efficiently on PC's as they do on Macs? Which OS would you recommend for using pro tools?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: PC or Mac

Whichever platform YOU are the most comfortable with is the best one for you. Seriously!!! The MAC guys are gonna tell you Mac, and the Windows guys will tell you Windows. The fact is, they both work great with PT, and are both approved. Amen. There are mountains of pros/cons either way and it's all bunk, in my opinion. I work sessions on both platforms, LE and HD. (There are problems or "gotchas" on both platforms, too...) Just pick one and make music. Hope this helps.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 PM

I've always been a PC guy, but my school uses nothing but Mac's, so I decided to try a Mac. Biggest difference I see is that the Mac seems to be a little more intuitive if you're not a really knowledgeable computer person. If you know how to do a PC up, down, back, and forward, then it doesn't matter, but if you're like me and always having trouble when something out of the ordinary happens, then you might want to try the Mac. Biggest thing, whatever one you get, check the compatibility page with Digi and make sure you have enough RAM and speed.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:52 PM

With a Mac you won't have to turn of antivirus
Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 PM

I've worked with both mac and pc. PC for home and Mac for work. I keep my machine online here at work (so its easy to share files for collaborated works) so far, no anomalies with my files. While at home where I use a Norton for my file protection, I have to go offline, (physically unplug the lan connection) and turn off my antivirus so I can use the full potential of my system.

So for me:
Professional Work with MAC (fast and continuous recording, posting and mixing)
Experiments and Tweak galore with PC (For a laid back and work in my shorts environment)

JS
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 PM

Man, thank you guys so much that was extremely helpful. I Think i"ll still to the Mac for the work stuff and PC for the other stuff. In my program, all we use at the labs are macs anyhow. Good deal. Thanks again!