Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-03-2022, 01:52 PM

Default Track suddenly stopped producing sound

After setting an instrument plugin to Bypass, then Inactive, then reverting, with no other changes (to output, volume, instrument settings, etc), that track suddenly stopped producing sound. No signal. Wasn't muted, no solo. Tried removing all plugins, changing instrument, double-checking mixer. Opened a backup to recover sound, where I tried duplicating the issue without success, despite using the same plugins and performing the same steps.

Googled this, found numerous reports of a specific track suddenly losing sound, but in most/all of those reports the users mentioned level meter activity. In my case, dead, except via the small meter in View > Edit Window Views > Instruments.

Is this a known issue? Any better workaround or suggestions than recovering a backup?

PT 2022.7, Windows 11, all plugins up-to-date.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Track suddenly stopped producing sound

Hmmm, my thoughts(some redundant in case it helps other users):
1-any time you mess around with instrument plugins, its possible for the midi routing to go dead. Solution: show "instrument" under View>Mix Window and reset the assignment.
2-when a track produces no sound when you think it should, play the track and verify that the fader stays up and the mute button does NOT light up(which can happen with accidental automation).
3-Next step if 2 is fine, bypass all plugins except the VI(if you have other plugins on that track). Sometimes a plugin can lose its authorization and not let any sound thru.
4-if 3 is no help, try putting the Signal Generator plugin in the last insert slot on the track and listen for that sound(default is a 1KHz tone). If you don't hear that, double-check the track routing.
5-make sure you don't have a VCA master or are routing thru an AUX track which might turn down the track in another place.
6-if the plugin instrument has a virtual keyboard on it(like MiniGrand or DB-33 has), mouse-click on to verify that the plugin actually makes a sound.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-03-2022, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Track suddenly stopped producing sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, my thoughts(some redundant in case it helps other users):
1-any time you mess around with instrument plugins, its possible for the midi routing to go dead. Solution: show "instrument" under View>Mix Window and reset the assignment.
2-when a track produces no sound when you think it should, play the track and verify that the fader stays up and the mute button does NOT light up(which can happen with accidental automation).
3-Next step if 2 is fine, bypass all plugins except the VI(if you have other plugins on that track). Sometimes a plugin can lose its authorization and not let any sound thru.
4-if 3 is no help, try putting the Signal Generator plugin in the last insert slot on the track and listen for that sound(default is a 1KHz tone). If you don't hear that, double-check the track routing.
5-make sure you don't have a VCA master or are routing thru an AUX track which might turn down the track in another place.
6-if the plugin instrument has a virtual keyboard on it(like MiniGrand or DB-33 has), mouse-click on to verify that the plugin actually makes a sound.
Thank you. It was #1. For some reason the output selector grayed out for this track. The title of the instrument was still displayed but it was seemingly unselected in the dropdown. I reselected the instrument and it resumed working.