Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 08-04-2019, 02:37 PM

Default Elastic Audio and Trashing Prefs

I know now to trash prefs whenever somethings going wrong. All kinds of little weird malfunctions are correctable by trashing prefs....right?

Today, I was using Elastic Audio, had changed the tempo and done some warping....Then proceeded to change a guitar track from Polyrhythmic mode to X-Form....and the track just defaulted to it's unelastic state...Undid and redid numerous times. Same result. Then, trashed prefs, and everything worked beautifully....
Just made me overall nervous, like what kind of little audio corruptions are happening that we're not noticing? should we be trashing prefs every hour?
Any thoughts?
Rob

PT HDX1 2018.12.0

Sierra 10.12.6
Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio and Trashing Prefs

X-form takes forever. With a 3 minute audio track, I've seen upwards of 10 minutes for it to render. Try staying with Poly(or whichever option suits the audio)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-06-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastula View Post
I know now to trash prefs whenever somethings going wrong. All kinds of little weird malfunctions are correctable by trashing prefs....right?

Today, I was using Elastic Audio, had changed the tempo and done some warping....Then proceeded to change a guitar track from Polyrhythmic mode to X-Form....and the track just defaulted to it's unelastic state...Undid and redid numerous times. Same result. Then, trashed prefs, and everything worked beautifully....
Just made me overall nervous, like what kind of little audio corruptions are happening that we're not noticing? should we be trashing prefs every hour?
Any thoughts?
Rob

PT HDX1 2018.12.0

Sierra 10.12.6
I've had different issues with elastic audio but the cure was the same as yours - trashing preferences. Seems bizarre that that whole section of EA can go easily awry with a corrupted pref file. And why does the pref file even get corrupted in the first place? So strange.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
X-form takes forever. With a 3 minute audio track, I've seen upwards of 10 minutes for it to render. Try staying with Poly(or whichever option suits the audio)

I only use x-form when I'm getting artifacts from polyrhythmic.

One thing that I've discovered though is sometimes I can make artifacts go away by deleting all the analysis markers (after warping, of course)....
Old 08-07-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastula View Post
I only use x-form when I'm getting artifacts from polyrhythmic.

One thing that I've discovered though is sometimes I can make artifacts go away by deleting all the analysis markers (after warping, of course)....

Yep.

IMHO, if you remove the analysis markers that aren’t on the consonants or start of transients, Polyphonic sounds better than X-Form. You don’t get the smearing artefacts.

My way of working is to change the analysis strength to around 85-90%, stretch the audio as needed, play with the algorithm settings until it sounds as good as can be, then manually add the analysis markers where I need them to stop any artefacts from the stretching. Works perfectly virtually every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2019, 11:56 PM

This is another reason why EA is in desperate need for an overhaul. The analysis markers thing was good in theory but can put unnecessary lumps all over the place on the audio. (I also remove all unnecessary analysis markers)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:08 PM

this is great.
thanks all.