Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2011, 01:02 AM

Default Channel Strip and D-Command - happy together?

I haven't yet tried the new Channel Strip to see if it plays well with the eq and compressor sections of the D-Command.

Any experience with this?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Channel Strip and D-Command - happy together?

Brent Heber's blog about CS and ICON integration
Old 12-20-2011, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the link but it's very thin on details about the channel strip's functionality on the D-Command.

I'm curious to know if there's adequate coverage of the channel strip on the D-Command's eq and compressor sections. I realize that the blog is an opinion about that, but it's an opinion I don't necessarily agree with. So, for instance, does each Icon knob correlate to a function within the channel strip? I realize that with a plugin which has many more knobs than its hardware controller will cause controversy, but I'm putting aside the fact that it won't please everyone.

So, of the options the Icon DOES offer for the channel strip, do they work as intended?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 AM

Eric, the plugin works as intended, with the only exceptions being missing the few complaints I had -
That it doesn't switch to auto-listen the same as EQ3
and the bypass buttons are used for the whole plugin (same as other inserts) as opposed for the EQ and comp sections independently as would be possible if they thought about it a bit.

What more details do you require, factually, as opposed to subjectively?
Would you like a list of the parameters on the Dcommand centre section or do you already own one, in which case you would already be familiar with them?
There's nothing out of the ordinary with the mapping - its a straight map, useful for (IMHO) 80% of everyday tasks.

Can you be more specific about what youre looking for?
I'm now using channel strip as my goto EQ and filters FYI, regardless of gripes.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks Brent. That answers the question.

The genesis of the question is that we don't have strong eq and compressor plugins which sits comfortably within the eq and compressor sections of our D-Command. Our favorites in both categories come from Duende, but Duende doesn't map well at all with the Icon.

Sound is what matters most, so we're not going to start using an inferior plugin (e.g. EQIII) just because the Icon likes it. In the past, our favorites haven't mapped at all and since I was impressed with Channel Strip I thought we might finally be able to use the eq and compressor sections.

As I said, I realize that certain functionality won't map -- we're OK with that.