Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 AM

Red face DIGIDEDSIGN - What's The Problem With the Downloader?? And a Rant...

I'm very pissed at the moment...
Because of where I live, I only have two real options for Internet. Dial up or an Air Card. I have a Verizon Air Card.
Needless to say, it's not a lot faster than dial up...
So when I have to do a large download like the PT9 update, it may take 2 whole days to do it. (Go Verizon, your so cutting edge!)
Anyway, the first night about 25% into the download Verizon dumps me off line. No problem, I log back on in the morning and continue the download. Then last night sometime Verizon dumps me again and the download was 87% complete. But this time, it appears the AVID down loader has froze up. I try once again to log on and restart the download process. Except this time it starts from ZERO % downloaded!!!
What happened? Where did the everything that was already downloaded go?
I have a Mac pro 3ghz 8 core running the latest updates for everything.
How did it just evaporate into thin air?
Now I'll have to start completely over again? [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep], AVID may come out with another update before I can get this one downloaded!

RANT...
Amazing Obama talks about getting Internet into every corner of the US but how the f#$k can that happen when the big communication companies have America diced up into territories?
I live on a county line between Kalamazoo county and Van Burean county. Two different territories. Literally, across the street they have high speed cable internet and pizza delivery. Over on my side of the street, we got dial up, over priced air cards (for the speed you get) and maybe satellite (which is so over sold the band-width is used up and they are getting slower speeds than the aircard). And have to drive 5 miles to go PICKUP a pizza...
When I bought my iPhone last spring, the AT&T manager told me, "Oh, we currently have 2G speeds, but by the fall we will have at least 3G. They are upgrading all the towers along I-94". We'll here we are almost a year into the promise and still crawling along on 2G. YET, AT&T charges me the same monthly fee people that are in larger cities are paying for 3G or faster! You would think they would pro rate me for my [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty 2G service!

Anyone remember back when AT&T were pretty much the only game in town, and charged a ton for a minute of log distance? But they wouldn't raise a finger to help you or get you a better deal. Then when other players came along and offered 5 cents a minute or finally an unlimited monthly long distance package? Here comes AT&T calling, after switching over to a better service at a better price, "We would love to have you come back, yada, yada, yada". My response of course, "you should have helped me when you had a chance". I swore back in the 80's I would never use AT&T again. Then I bought this frickin' iPhone. AT&T only....
That won't happen again. They are all liars. Telling you what you want to hear to make a sale. Just like Vaporware....
My new credo is I'm not buying [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] unless it works as advertised NOW. Not 3 months from now. I should have learned that valuable lesson from the Ensonq/E-mu Paris days. Frickin' Liars! They were the KINGS of Vaporware! Edmond & God rest his soul SSC.
Kinda like the old Popeye, character Wimpy. "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today".... It's just Tuesday NEVER gets here...
Rant off.....
;-)
-Chris
Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Re: DIGIDEDSIGN - What's The Problem With the Downloader?? And a Rant...

Yep, I live in a rural area and only get 1.5 MB/sec on my DSL. I hear you.

One solution is to get a laptop and a jump drive and go somewhere with free Wi-Fi and download to the drive. Library, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 AM

Default Re: DIGIDEDSIGN - What's The Problem With the Downloader?? And a Rant...

Wouldn't it just be simpler to buy the boxed version?

I mean, you're spending two days and ending up with nothing when UPS would get it there in three or four days...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 AM

Not the best idea, because whenever there is an update, he will have the same problem again. Aiming for a WLAN Hotspot might be the best idea.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyelvis View Post
Literally, across the street they have high speed cable internet and pizza delivery. Over on my side of the street, we got dial up, over priced air cards (for the speed you get) and maybe satellite (which is so over sold the band-width is used up and they are getting slower speeds than the aircard). And have to drive 5 miles to go PICKUP a pizza...

-Chris
Why not just walk across the street to do your download and pick up pizza for that matter.