Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-11-2022, 07:19 AM

Default What's the best way to increase the volume?

Hi Friends...

After spending months mixing a song, I've found that many of my tracks are far below 0db. Most vocal tracks are 0db, but most of the instrumentation ended up between -6 and -15db. As a result, the final output is not quite as strong and punchy as could be. My question:

1) Is it best/easiest to simply raise the master fader from 0 to 5db?

2) Or is it better to leave the master fader at 0db and raise each individual track by 5db? Or does that not matter?

If the latter, what the easiest way of raising ALL tracks by 5db so I can preserve all the automation? Create a group of everything?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 10.17.27 AM.jpg (75.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-11-2022, 07:46 AM

Default Re: What's the best way to increase the volume?

If your master is nowhere near clipping, then just raise the fader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2022, 08:43 AM

With digital audio, it's just math. So, increasing track levels or raising the master fader (or lowering if it's clipping) should produce the same result, no loss of quality. The simple way to fix this situation; put a limiter last on your master fader, set it to limit at -0.5db, and raise the master fader so that the limiter only just limits a tiny bit once in a while. Remember, unlike all other types of tracks, master fader plugins is after the fader.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:20 PM

Don't get hung up on reaching 0db. In fact, you don't want to get close to 0db. Why do you feel you need to do anything? Consider:
1-maxing out the meters is a holdover from the analog days where it was important to maximize signal to noise(noise being tape noise). In the digital realm, tape noise doesn't exist(unless you are transferring old tapes).
2-proper levels in digital are generally -18 to -14db. IOW, just reaching yellow on the meters is fine for recording.
3-if you are looking at the master, sure its fine to push closer to 0, but(and this is a bit BUT), A-is the project going to be mastered?(if yes, let the ME push the level to the desired volume for the final product, be it CD replication or an on-line service such as CD Baby or Spotify). Or B-if you are self mastering(something I discourage unless you are highly experienced), then the final level is part of that mastering process, and many mastering plugins are equipped to handle this(but again, this is a Master track process, not something that needs consideration on individual tracks).
4-having said all of the above, I am highly experienced, but still hate to do my own mastering. And I almost always end up lowering all my audio tracks to maintain a clean mix

2 more cents worth, and my opinion only; if most of your tracks had the faders at -10 and lower, then I would say you need to bring down levels on the tracks(look at what plugins are in use and make sure any/all are not making your tracks significantly louder than if they were bypassed). Your screen shot doesn't look like this, so your faders look in a good range to me

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-11-2022, 04:06 PM

Dave, his question was quite simple and to the point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoruss View Post
As a result, the final output is not quite as strong and punchy as could be. My question:
1) Is it best/easiest to simply raise the master fader from 0 to 5db?
2) Or is it better to leave the master fader at 0db and raise each individual track by 5db? Or does that not matter?
I tried to answer that.
I think your reply was a little too much, with all respect.
I know you're being helpful, just sayin'.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post

I tried to answer that.

I too answered the question - in ONE line.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:27 AM

I personally benefited from both slants on this.

Thanks guys!

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory
Old 03-12-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post

I tried to answer that.
I can tell you this, Dave’s response gave me a heck of a lot more to think about rather than a simple one line answer. I think it’s missing in these types of responses in most online forums is perspective.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTalk View Post
I can tell you this, Dave’s response gave me a heck of a lot more to think about rather than a simple one line answer. I think it’s missing in these types of responses in most online forums is perspective.

Sure.

But the question asked was a simple one. Do I need to turn all channels up or can I just increase the master fader? The answer is also simple. If it’s not clipping, turn the master up.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Sure.

But the question asked was a simple one. Do I need to turn all channels up or can I just increase the master fader? The answer is also simple. If it’s not clipping, turn the master up.

The answer is not simple, it can be more complex depending on the circumstances getting him in that position. Why you care if someone wants to give a broader understanding is beyond me. Dave gave a well thought out, relevant reply to the overall question. Someone else may come to this thread with a similar question and the answer could likely be in Dave’s reply.

We should applaud people for trying to go further in helping others, not chastise them.