Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 11:45 PM

Default Mute Frees Voice Please

While the inclusion of voice priority into PT LE 6 is a welcome addition, the real advantage of voice priority is the ability to free up voices with the muting of tracks. (currently only available in TDM). So... a polite request for this feature in future LE upgrades....

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 06-17-2003, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Mute Frees Voice Please

I'm with you K man
giddy up
Old 06-17-2003, 08:18 PM

Hello. Actually TDM systems have had voices and independent voice allocation since 4.x or before. I wasn't sure from your post if you meant that this feature was only recently added. I really don't know why they even bothered with what they implemented for 6.x LE. You can't pick and choose, or assing more than one track to one voice, so it's basically useless. Or at least, useless in the context that virtually everybody uses voices in the TDM world.

Yeah man I was stoked when I read back in the fall last year that 6.x for LE would have 128 tracks, 32 voices. I thought, great. You could literally assign 60 tracks to a stereo pair and still have 30 tracks left over. Imagine my disappointment when I found out the reality of the situation. Bummer!

So yeah I guess we all want voice allocation for LE. Pretty please!
Old 06-17-2003, 08:50 PM

What they gained by using voices in PT 6.x is the ability to disable tracks and allowing the user to have 128 tracks with 32 assignable voices.. So moving sessions between TDM and LE is much mo' better.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-17-2003, 08:51 PM

Froyo - I didn't mean that it was a recent impementation for TDM - I think I even remember seeing it in PT111 many years ago. In reference to your statement "You could literally assign 60 tracks to a stereo pair and still have 30 tracks left over. " - thats not really how voice allocation works even in TDM I'm afraid. ( though it would be amazing if it did). Each mono track uses a voice. Voices cannot be shared by multiple tracks.

In reference to " You can't pick and choose, or assing more than one track to one voice, so it's basically useless." , one advantage that you may not have thought of, is that you can have 64 tracks in a sessions, and pick and choose which ones to play . Previously, we had to use play lists, which meant you couldn't keep separate plug in ( and automation ) data for each track, so we are now in a much better to handle sessions greater than 32 tracks.
My request for mute frees voice is simply feedback to Digi, making a request for future implementations which would enable PT LE users to get the most out of their 32 track systems.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 06-18-2003, 12:46 AM

Amen brother!!

It seems kind of wierd digi would'nt include this feature seeing as thats the reason why everyone wanted voices in the first place.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:49 AM

Hello. Rail I agree that is what it's useful for. But that's why I said the voices would be useless as far as the TDM usage.

By tha k man
Quote:
In reference to your statement "You could literally assign 60 tracks to a stereo pair and still have 30 tracks left over. " - thats not really how voice allocation works even in TDM I'm afraid. ( though it would be amazing if it did). Each mono track uses a voice. Voices cannot be shared by multiple tracks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Huh!?!. Are we talking about the same TDM systems? So you mean when I have actually done this in the past it was some freak occurrence. Sorry for being a little glib, I mean no offense. Believe me however when I tell you that it does work that way. It has since the beginning of voices on TDM. Read through the Pro Tools Reference Guide to see the entire capabilities of voices on TDM systems, as well as other stuff.

The example that is used by everyone is for comping stuff. Say you have 10 guitar solo takes. You assign all of them to the same voice (which you visually notice when all tracks change to the same color) and then proceed to 'comp' your keeper take.

As for your other comment, I am quite aware of that capability. As Rail mentioned before you, it allows you to open 128 tracks on a session. However, you have to read again what I said. And I quote "You can't pick and choose, or assing more than one track to one voice, so it's basically useless. Or at least, useless in the context that virtually everybody uses voices in the TDM world." It's useless as far as how voices are used by the great majority of TDM users.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:13 PM

Froyo - I meant that voices couldn't be shared by audio at the same time. I thought that was obvious.
As for your other comment on how " useless" the voice assigning in LE is - well, that's why I started this thread. I thought that might be obvious too.
By the way, I've read the TDM manual - cover to cover.
Sorry if I sound a little glib.
I'm outta here. This place is becoming a singular waste of time.
Flame on.
Care factor?????

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 06-23-2003, 06:24 AM

By tha k man
Quote:
I meant that voices couldn't be shared by audio at the same time. I thought that was obvious.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. Actually I still don't know what you mean by that. What do you mean that voices can't be shared by audio at the same time? I suspect we are talking about two different things. However, I think I have been fairly clear on what I mean. On TDM, you can take 24 tracks for example and assign them all to two different voices, or a stereo pair. If you do things right, this will in effect serve as a stereo aux. All 24 tracks will be heard. That is what I mean. What do you mean by voice sharing?

As for the intent of our posts I guess there is a little miscommunication there. We are all for better voice features on LE.
Quote:
I'm outta here. This place is becoming a singular waste of time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am sorry that you feel this way. I was simply pointing out apparent inaccuracies or clarifying terms and features of TDM. We are probably still talking about two separate things. However, even when I was a little glib, I was never rude or unhelpful. I think you may be a little too sensitive. Nothing in this thread qualifies as a flame. At all. If you think so I apologize, but let me assure you this is definitely not a flame. So maybe you will visit again, but before you leave, please explain what you are talking about. I still don't know.