Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-20-2023, 06:30 AM

Default PowerMac to MacPro

I've been running ProTools LE8 on G5 Powermacs using an MBox2Pro for a long time. I've been through at least 3 computers over the last 15+ years. Most of the time the RAM fails and I can get another computer on Ebay for less than new RAM. Now I need to replace my current PowerMac G5 which will no longer boot. I'm seeing some deals on Mac Pros and wondering if they are backwards capable to the MBox2Pro. As I understand it, I could not update from LE8 unless I stepped up to the next platform (MacPro) at which point my interface would be obsolete. I am perfectly fine and at home with the set up I've always had. It suits my needs perfectly and I can do anything I need to do but if I could upgrade the computer and use the same software and interface then I could at least entertain the idea of upgrading the entire studio. Does anyone have some insight into this?

Typically I've been able to avoid reinstalling ProTools by simply putting my previous hard drive in the new computer and resetting a few things. Would a MacPro boot with OS 10.5.8? This probably seems a little convoluted but I'm kind of set in my comfortable ways.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:33 AM

Default Re: PowerMac to MacPro

Yes it would, Intel transition started 10.4 and ended with 10.6 being Intel-only.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:59 AM

I have a G5 that works. PM me if you’re interested.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:04 AM

Thanks, I think I'll try to upgrade to a MacPro.
Old 02-25-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggS View Post
Thanks, I think I'll try to upgrade to a MacPro.
That's the best thing. I had an old G5 in 2006 then I went to a MacPro Trash Can in 2013. I just upgraded to a Mac Studio and it's fantastic.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-27-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes it would, Intel transition started 10.4 and ended with 10.6 being Intel-only.
Thanks for the reply JFreak. There's a lot I'm wading through but looking around I'm seeing some affordable MacPros and thinking I need to make the jump even if I ultimately have to get another interface and software. Having said that, it'd still be cool if I could find a MacPro that could run my MBox2Pro and LE8. If I understand you correctly, a MacPro running OS 10.5.8 would boot and work with my interface. My question becomes which MacPros will boot with OS 10.5.8? I'm assuming it needs to be one of the earlier ones (2006-2008?), or does it? I guess I might need a different driver which may be the over-riding issue to begin with in terms of availability. I know I'm getting into the weeds here, so thanks.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:57 AM

Mac Pro workstations are Intel and Mbox Pro driver is supported up to Mojave. No reason to stay in Leopard. PT8LE however is only supported up to Snow Leopard, so if you like more current OS and are willing to pay for current PT license, that would work.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:51 PM

Again thanks, it's starting to make sense. The limiting factor is the software, not so much the interface. Available drivers allow me run protools up to 11 with a MacPro using my MBox2Pro but no MacPro will run LE8. I need to first decide what version of ProTools I want and then get the computer/OS Avid recommends for that version. I think 10 would be comfortable, beyond sufficient for my needs and peachy. I've found the compatibility charts and can do all of that. You've been a great help.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to buy it, transfer it, license it, get the installer, create an ilock account and the rest of it. Getting amazing work done on a variety of projects is the easy part but this stuff, not so much.