Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-25-2008, 10:44 AM

Default unwanted noise in instrument track

can anyone help me with this? I have some unwanted breathing in my acoustic guitar tracks that is very distracting, and I'm trying to get rid of it without comprimising the sound. I've done the EQ trick which worked before, but for some reason none of these can come out. Cutting isn't really an option, it will only create clicking in the audio.

I have two tracks that were both mic'd closely to the guitar, both picking up the breathing. Is there anything I can do to clean this up without spending any money? Thank you much for any insight
Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Avid

Default Re: unwanted noise in instrument track

What about using automation to reduce the levels of the breaths?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:37 AM

I don't suppose it would be an option to add a breathy pad layer to the mix to cover it up? Or wind sfx? Kinda far fetched, I know, but if the breathing happens during the sound of the guitar itself that you need to keep, masking it might be about the only option short of retracking. NR plugins (at least the ones avail for LE) would definitely compromise the sound. Removing loudish broadband noise from tonal sound transparently is voodoo. And voodoo is expensive.

If the breathing happens only when the guitar is silent/unneeded, you can either use fader automation, as DTS suggested, or cut and fade out/in. Fades will eliminate the clicks.

PT 2022.9 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.1 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2022.5 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-25-2008, 12:11 PM

may i suggest using a noise gate, and set the threshold and release so that it wont chatter.
Digi 002 Mixer Console
Mac Book Pro 2.33
Snow Leopard
www.blitzvixen.com
Old 11-26-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo of Onello View Post
may i suggest using a noise gate, and set the threshold and release so that it wont chatter.
Good suggestion.
Can I also add....
Play with the range also. This is... how much attenuation below threshold.
You may not need to cut to silence, just reduce the level.
You could also play with expander mode. Similar thing but uses a ratio in relation to attenuation below threshold.

As mentioned above, this will only work if the breath problems are between guitar phrases.

Also, make sure you are not compressing the track too hard, as this will have the effect of bringing up the breathing.

Good luck
Old 11-26-2008, 06:12 AM

Can you re-record the parts? Prevention (or at least, minimization) is invariably better than cure.

1. Consider using directional Mic's with capsules/patterns that reject extraneous noise.
2. Soundproofing reflective surfaces and/or the mic (e.g foam or Reflexion filter) might also be worth investigating.
3. If possible, play the parts in smaller sections which allow you/the talent to 'hold breath' whilst playing.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 AM

I turned down the compression to a good level and I'm gonna add some wind fx to the backround, with some outside noise for effect. It will help mask the unwanted sound and also very fitting for the song. Thanks everyone for your suggestions