Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-31-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Help!! PC shuting down when audio track is record enabled

I searched the forum for nearly an hour and could not find any help. I am running PT 7.1. For the past year and a half I've had no problem what so ever. But I just moved my control room to a bigger area. When I re-hooked everything (I labeled everything so I would not screw up), I started on a rush project. I did the basics plus more with software instruments on Instrument Tracks with no problem. Then I plugged in a guitar and opened an audio track. I record enabled the track, and when I hit play, my PC shut down. The first time I tried to open the session again I got a message that "the open command could not be completed because the magic ID did not match". Then I opened a backup successfully. I tried to record enable an audio track over and over. I have checked connections and things seem right. I can still record midi, but I can't get an audio track to work. This project was a rush thing and now I'm at a stand still. Please tell me what to check. Thanks very much.

Pro Tools 7.1
002 Rack
RME ADI-8 DS
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
2 gig RAM
Asus Motherboard
3 Hard Drives
Control 24
Old 06-01-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Help!! PC shuting down when audio track is record enabl

Magic ID issues usually indicate a corrupt session. It could be a hard drive issue, especially since you've moved the machine recently. Have you checked the hard drive for errors? How much space is left on the hard drive? Do you have your Open Ended Record Allocation set to "Use all space" or "Limit to"?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have the Open Ended Record Allocation set to Use All Space. I don't see any indication of hard drive problems. The drive involved in this session, is 250 gig and very little space used on it. Any idea what would cause the PC to shut down (restart) as soon as I hit play in record mode. Only happens on audio track, not Instrument Track, etc. Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 AM

I just tried to record on an audio track on another drive and it did the same thing. Also, I can open and play a previously recorded session with 32 audio tracks on the main audio drive. It appears to happen only in record mode.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Any idea what would cause the PC to shut down (restart) as soon as I hit play in record mode.
yeah, computer problems.

Seriously though, computer restart problems usually indicate a larger computer problem, including but not limited to; overheating, hard drive issues, memory errors, software corruption, etc.

Overheating: if your computer is not being cooled properly (for instance, if your cooling fan got knocked loose somehow during a recent move) then when you ramp up the CPU to high level, you may increase the temperature past the shutdown protection threshold of the BIOS.

hard drive issues: if the hard drive has been damaged in some way, or possibly even just not connected properly (due to a recent move, for instance), it could cause a program to malfunction enough to trigger a restart. Highly unlikely, but possible.

memory errors: if your memory has been damaged or is malfunctioning, it could cause a computer restart.

software corruption: this can be caused by MANY different things, including the hard drive issue above, and/or installing other (sometimes poorly written and or questionable) software that can screw up the Pro Tools software in such a way that it is no longer what it used to be. This can include overwriting important library files, accessing plugin extensions improperly, etc. Many times, the only solution for this is a complete un-install and re-install of the Pro Tools software. Sometimes, especially with software that is of questionable origin, a re-install of the operating system is necessary. This is why I always recommend disk-image style backups (such as True Image) so you can save a known working computer configuration, and be up and running again very quickly.

Or, quite honestly, it might not be any of those. It must be something specific about your system, or (many) more people would be complaining about it.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll look into all the areas you mentioned. Hopefully it is not a re-install thing. I don't get too excited about starting all over again. Especially when it comes to computer stuff.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 PM

I had this problem twice before. It turned out to be a software issue. I found it by doing a dreaded start from scratch and then installing my software one by one until I got to the one causing the problem. Only took a few weeks since I ran the system for a few hours after each install! Lucky for me I have a backup system while I troubleshooted the problem. This is just what you wanted to hear, right? The other time it was a software driver for a non-PTLE related sound card.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:09 PM

Change the [i]Open Ended Record Allocation[i] to a setting like 10 minutes. If you have a drive with a very large amount of free space it may cause a variable roll-over and Pro Tools to crash.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Help!! PC shuting down when audio track is record enabled

well can anybody help me ,,pc reboots in pro tools only
when i use plug in's 3 at a time or move the sound waves across (0 min to 4 min) is this a video card or ram problem or what is it . driv'n me nuts i'm running 2 gig's of ram ,intel e6400 cpu ,arctic cooling freezer xtreem heat sink, 2 80 gig seagram h/drives, radeon hd 2400 xt card with a asus p5gc-mx/1333(945 GC chipset) motherboard (intergrated graphics turned of in bios).
Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Help!! PC shuting down when audio track is record enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by patto71 View Post
well can anybody help me ,,pc reboots in pro tools only
when i use plug in's 3 at a time or move the sound waves across (0 min to 4 min) is this a video card or ram problem or what is it . driv'n me nuts i'm running 2 gig's of ram ,intel e6400 cpu ,arctic cooling freezer xtreem heat sink, 2 80 gig seagram h/drives, radeon hd 2400 xt card with a asus p5gc-mx/1333(945 GC chipset) motherboard (intergrated graphics turned of in bios).
Wow you really resurrected an old thread man, 2007!!

Might want to try posting your own thread. either way, who ever helps you will need this:

To enable other users to help you, please include all of your system details when posting an issue to the DUC; Pro Tools hardware,
Pro Tools software version, CPU, OS version, Motherboard make/model, chipset, amount of RAM, type of hard drives used, etc.

- Please - Use SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application to generate a full system profile:

Sandra Report

Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions.
After installing Sandra, click on the 'Hardware' tab and run the 'Computer Overview', then copy and paste into your post here on the
DUC.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio