Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack - Standalone - No sound on startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2you View Post
I have exactly the same problem.
A new 11R, first power up=zero sound=noise, hiss, pop and red flashing leds...
I've tried the memory reset, it's not working and I'm running the last firmware.
Any suggestions?
contact where you purchased it from and try to trade it in for another. would be cheaper probably than paying for shipping to send it back to digi for repair. but if you have to, contact tech support, go through their steps and then they will authorize you a rma number to send it in to get repaired.

sounds like there are quite a few defective units getting into circulation!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-15-2010, 06:43 AM

I would like to say that I didn't have such a problem but I did. The first unit I received was simply dead. I tried the power on cycling and the memory resets. It helped one time then it died again.

It seemed to be some sort of issue with the True Z input. I returned it for a replacement and so far haven't had a single issue with it.

I would recommend speaking with your vendor and going for a return/replacement.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 AM

I doubt this is the problem but I thought I'd mention it. The only time I had any odd behavior with my 11r was when the power chord wasn't really pushed in well. It has happened a couple of times, so I make sure it's really seated well before I power up.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:22 AM

I got a temporary fix from Digi customer support that's worked so far for me.

Go into the Digital Clock/Input section of the User Options and toggle back and forth between the different sampling rates. It may take a couple of times but my sound finally comes on.

Hope this helps.

Fritz
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Fritz,

I just received my Eleven Rack and experienced the same problem getting sound.

I went into the Digital Clock/Input section of the User Options and toggled back and forth between the different sampling rates as you did and all seems to be well. The sound now comes on after switching the unit on (at least for the afternoon).

My question is, have you experienced the problem again since you initially did the fix in the Digital Clock/Input section? Have you experienced any other problems?

Have any others had similar problems since Fritz's last post on June 17th?

I'm trying to decide whether to swap the unit for a new one. I just don't want to return it if the "temp fix" was a permanent fix.

Thanks,

Lou
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM

I've actually had this issue as well. I use the unit as an interface, in stand-alone as well as connected to my 002r. Let's just say, this unit doesn't seem to enjoy me switching back and forth so much. I end up having to switch up things quite a bit using the temporary fix of toggling back and forth the sample rates. The weird thing though is that it only ever works in either 48 or 96, not 44.1 or 88.2. If i toggle to either of those two, i just get a high pitched noise and no input at all. Very strange, but i still love this thing. Sounds amazing!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Hi Ted,

I haven't tried any other sample rate other than 44.1. I will try the others though. What worry's me is they have sold hundreds of these racks and it appears only a few of us may have the problem or at least were the only one's who have posted about it.

I have contacted the vendor I purchased it from and there willing to send me another. If the problem persists over the weekend I may go that route. I just figured if it was just an adjustment I could make to insure the dependability of the unit, I wouldn't bother shipping in back.

Since I just got it, I have only used it in standalone mode. My thing is, if I'm playing out with it, it has to turn on and work when I flip the switch.....

Lou
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Yeah, i definitely agree. It needs to work when you turn it on and play out. What's weird is, i'll have the USB plugged in and it's operating pro tools just fine. I'll shut down pro tools, turn off eleven rack, unplug USB, turn eleven rack back on in standalone and sometimes it will work just fine. The next day i'll turn it back on (stand alone) at church ready to play and NO SOUND.... So i'll toggle the sample rates and usually i can get it going in 48/96, but definitely not 44 or 88.

What's weird is as much as i try to find a rhyme or reason, it proves me wrong and i'm at a loss. At least now with enough fudging around, changing settings in the actual unit, or in the hardware preferences in pro tools gets me where i want to be. I used to reset the entire thing over and over again, having to reinstall my presets each time. What a pain. Hopefully avid has been able to reproduce this themselves and can provide some debugging firmware.

Ted
Old 07-02-2010, 07:01 PM

Hmmm a little worrying that these faults are appearing lately. Ive had a coupe of times where I had to reset memory; luckily I have no presets setup and at a gig or else it would be a major pi$$ off. I'd not be happy if it were reoccurring. Hopefully a solution is found for you all soon so you can start enjoying the unit.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luken26 View Post
Fritz,

I just received my Eleven Rack and experienced the same problem getting sound.

I went into the Digital Clock/Input section of the User Options and toggled back and forth between the different sampling rates as you did and all seems to be well. The sound now comes on after switching the unit on (at least for the afternoon).

My question is, have you experienced the problem again since you initially did the fix in the Digital Clock/Input section? Have you experienced any other problems?

Have any others had similar problems since Fritz's last post on June 17th?

I'm trying to decide whether to swap the unit for a new one. I just don't want to return it if the "temp fix" was a permanent fix.

Thanks,

Lou
The answer to my own question now that I have had the Eleven Rack for the past 10 hours is "I have experienced the problem 7 times since I initially toggled the sample rates in the Digital Clock/Input section.

As has previously been stated in this thread, no rhyme, reason or pattern. Sometimes it works (the sound is present that is), and sometimes it doesn't.

As nice as this rack sounds, one has to wonder at what particular moment in time you go to turn the unit on and this "temp fix" no longer works.....

I can understand occasional communication problems cropping up if hooked into the computer (hardware/software issues), but any guitar rack, irregardless of the manufacturer, operating as a standalone unit should work every time the unit is switched on!

Based on the small number of people in the forum that have reported having this problem, I would have to assume the majority of the units are not experiencing this problem. That would not bode well for a quick fix firmware update assuming it's even the problem.

If I can't figure it out over the next two days, I think this one will find it's way back to the vendor and I'll try one more. If it wasn't the weekend, this unit would already be on it's way back.